+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with foam water spider

Default Help with foam water spider

Just what is the trick to getting a water spider to sit flat on the water? Should the legs be curved up slightly or flat on a "plane". Should the legs be cememted, CA'd, or Flexmented in place. Should the legs have multiple wraps of thread, or just a few? Should the legs be siliconed, or not treated. I would have thought a foam fly would float like a cork but mine seem to just barely sit in the surface tension. When I jerk them for a little action, they roll partly under.

Thanks in advance for the help, Barry

Barry, I started giving my spiders 8 legs and wound up taking 4 away. This takes a little weight off( I don't think fish can count and it still displaces water well).I also tie them on a curved caddis or scud hook and section the body as far forward as I can get.This hangs more hook below the surface and allows for better hook-up.Hope it helps.

[This message has been edited by John 3:16 (edited 26 April 2006).]

I would have thought a foam fly would float like a cork but mine seem to just barely sit in the surface tension. When I jerk them for a little action, they roll partly under.
    It should float if its closed cell foam. If I add too heavy of a hook or too heavy materials for the amount of foam I am using, the fly will not float high on the water surface. I don't have any problem with my spongy spiders and I use two square one inch by 1/4 inch pieces of 2mm closed cell foam sheet superglued together and cut down to shape. I use a #8 light wire Aberdeen hook to keep weight down and add rubber legs.

This is the one I tie, pretty simple, and I don't have any problems with it. I can test the fly in a sink with some water in it if I need to until the fly works right.

Spongy Foam Spider I tie:
    Hook: #8 Aberdeen
    Body: Teardrop shaped foam body (Two trimmed and superglued 2mm closed cell foam strips about 1/4 inch wide and 1 inch long cut from sheet foam called a "Foamie" by Darice), hook bend inserted through the wide end and tied to the hook shank in the center and half way between the forward section.
    Legs: Four bungee cord rubber strands twice the length of hook shank with two tied in the middle to either side of and at the center tie in point of body.

Add superglue or Sally to the underside for strength to the thread wraps. Should look like a spider with a total of eight legs, with an abdomen (wide end at rear), thorax (center), and head.

Best of luck.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 26 April 2006).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Are you using pre formed bodies? They usually come in size 10 or 12's and that is also the size hook you should be using. Mustad 94840 If you use craft foam the body should be hook length I use 2 pieces of leg material 2 in long when tying(four legs on the body each 1 inch when finished). Wrap a thread base add the foam with a couple more wraps. Add legs with 2 or three wraps straight out both sides of the hook and go fishing. You can add a little head cement to the under side and if you feel the legs are long trim them. My formed bodies or craft store foam float like a cork.

------------------
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread