+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UpHook Zonker

Default UpHook Zonker

Does anyone know of a pattern for a rabbit tailed zonker that has a mylar body tied on top of the hook? The zonker strip is impaled on the hook at the bend and the fly is fished hook up. The zonker patterns I found on FAOL all fish hook down. Thanks in advance.

I tye some of my zonkers hook up. All you have to do is put all your weight on the top of the hook and tye the rest of the fly like normal with the bend of the hook up. The only other thing you have to do is impale the rabbit strip over the hook and slide down. To make my zonkers a little more bullet proof I tye in a bit of wire for a rib then use the narrow maylar then bring the thread back to the eye and wrap the mylar around the hook shank covering all the thread instead of slipping a larger tube over the hook shank. I then impale the rabbit strip and tye in it in at the head. I then rib the fly foward with the wire like a matuka. and tye off. By doing this there is no exposed thead near the bend of the fly to be cut by a fish.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

It wouldn't be too far off this, although you would have to make the mylar tube body, not the one shown [url=http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/Red%20Neck%20Rabbit.pdf:0a2c7]here[/url:0a2c7]

I prefer the estaz/crystal flash body on my rabbit strip flys. It is easier/faster to apply and I beleive more realistic in the water.

Regards,
    FK

Hi Cardinal,

In addition the suggestions you've already received I might add a bit of caution. I tend to grab my streamers by the wing. The point-up Zonker does a good job of hiding the hook point but it's still there waiting for the chance to catch you. I've gotten myself more than once. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:0e868]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:0e868]

+ Reply to Thread