+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Streamer feathers

Default Streamer feathers

With all the genetic engineering to get the great dry fly feathers we like I feel hard pressed to find the nice well shaped feathers I'd like for conventional streamers. They are all too thin. How are you guys solving this? I have not tried hen saddles because they might be too wide and blunt.

Try buying Deceiver Patches. Those feathers, typically strung hackles, are selected specifically for winging deceivers and other streamers. Most shops have them. Lefty's Deceiver Patches.. Lots of colors too!

RL

Hi Ray....given your experiences with them, you might not want to hear this but, Whiting American necks and saddles are bred for streamer feathers. They are large, nicely tapered, and have a round tip. I also like the Ewing deciever patches alot.
    Yea, typical hen saddles are good for matukas and things but are too short and rounded for streamer wings. Good luck!....Jason

------------------
    "There's always room for one more wrap of hackle"

[This message has been edited by Feenom (edited 27 February 2006).]

Blog Entries

Ray,
    I use Chinese rooster necks. They are inexpensive and have the wide webby hackles that I like to use on deceivers. They also make the best stripped quills for quill bodied flies.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I use strung hen hackle and have been able to find it from many sources.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Ray,

I always use Ewing Signature saltwater saddles and thier #1 Deceiver patches. To a lesser degree I use Whiting American and Coq de Leon capes. The Deceiver patches are great for small streamers 4-8. The Ewing saddles are great for 1-4 and the Whiting will have feathers for streamers down to sz 12. I prefer the Ewing as the stems are more supple and just make a better looking streamer.

Check out this article on Ewing [url=http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers/raske/productreview/:4a927]http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers/raske/productreview/[/url:4a927]

-----------
    Rich

[This message has been edited by quillg (edited 28 February 2006).]

Ray,

I just visited a genetic breeder the other day. In the process of talking about feathers he mentioned how tiers only look at the necks and saddles for tying and forget about other feathers on the rooster. He then proceded to show me a streamer he tied with the 'leg hackle', using these feathers for the wing and collar. The feather he used for the wing was a buff cream color, webby and with blotches along the stem that looked just like parr markings. Now I know that the breeders don't sell these feathers, at least I don't know of any, unless you're lucky enough to know one. However, they are available if you happen to get a barnyard rooster.

Anyway, the point being, there are feathers other than the neck and saddle which can be used in fly tying and we just are too spoiled to look and/or they are siomply unavailable.

Allan

I'm going through some of the same difficulties, although I'm trying to find winging material for wet fly wings-- in particular the Spruce and Dark Spruce. Well conformed badger hackle seems to be a thing of the past.

I've checked my usual sources and have yet to find any. Nor have I been able to find hen badger...

I haven't checked Conranch yet, but that's on my to-do list.

It's surprising that not too long ago, it was nearly impossible to find good dry-fly quality hackle, and now the reverse is the case. Perhaps that explains my tendency to buy a lifetime supply of whatever I find that works.

Keith

+ Reply to Thread