+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spinning deer hair

Default spinning deer hair

Working with deer hair has been one of the most frustrating aspects of this addiction for me. Just when I think I am getting it I tie some horrible looking Muddlers and swear off dear hair. I actually purchased some Muddlers for a trip, and they looked almost machine made. The hair was so fine, it almost looked like a piece of carved cork. The question I have is this. Most instructions call for spinning a piece of deer hair about a pencil in diameter. Now without giving up my age, I'm thinking the old yellow number 2's. This seems like alot of hair to handle. Do you start out with this diameter of hair, or do you spin smaller amounts and keep packing it? Thanks in advance for the help.

Have you read through the Bass Bug tying stuff of the late Al Campbell's? He really does a wonderful job of this. Check it out here: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/intermediate/part34.html:3564d]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/intermediate/part34.html[/url:3564d]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Small bundles and pack them, The biggest mistake everyone makes when starting out trying to spin deer hair is trying to spin to much at once....

start with half the size of a pencil and see how that works...then as you get more accustomed to it add a lil more if you feel the need...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I go the other way and spin probably twice that much at a time. Two bunches is usually enough for a muddler head.

For spinning deer hair I think some hands on instruction is invaluable.

Jay

some people use a lot of hair, some use not so much .... not a lot of help there - but just shows its choices again. Too much hari does get to be problematic. Too little and the resulting spin is sparse. Practice is great - but written words mean little if you have a hard time understanding. If you can't get an in-person lesson - I strongly suggest finding (renting?) an instructional video. Watch it, try, re-watch ... etc.

I'm with Bill, about 1/2 pencil thickness, lay it on (bare shank), 2 complete wraps of thread (I use kevlar), then tighten (hair should 'spin' completely around). Pull back spun hair, pack (carefully), add 2 wraps thread in front of spun hair - add in next bunch of hair.
    Careful - this spinning gets addictive ......

darrell,

I like to use a larger bunch. But what's really important is clean out all the under fur you can. The under fur stops the hair from spinning. Also the quality of the hair realy matters. A call to Whitetail supplies really helps. Chris will send you the right hair for the job. Then you will know what good hair is. Last I like gsp thread. the slipperyness of the thread helps the hair spin better. Dan

I watched Flats Dude put on a mullet Tying seminar at last years FLA. Fish-In and he used small amounts of deer hair and would push them forward and wrap and then apply a little glue of some type to each finished stack( forget what is was, the rum got to me, I don't know how pirates can handle that stuff.) I think it was hard as nails ?? or something like that. I hate getting old

I am sure someone will chime in and tell us what to use to help hold it in place.

The Dude's time was well appreciated

Philip

[This message has been edited by old geezer (edited 18 January 2006).]

[This message has been edited by old geezer (edited 18 January 2006).]
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Thanks everyone for the response. I tried using Kevlar, and spent more time cleaning out the underfur, both helped. Also I am using a smaller bunch of hair and packing it as tight as I can. The other thing I realized, and this might sound crazy, but I was holding on to the bunch of hair too long as I started the spin, thus the hair was not spinning freely around the hook but getting trapped. Gober, you mentioned Whitetail supplies. Could you please provide some contact information? Thanks again to all.

AlanB Guest

I have seen many "how to" guides to spinning deer hair. I have never come across an explanation that shows what is going on. If you are trying to do something it helps to know what is happening. Here you'll find an explanation I did a while back. It may help. [url=http://completefisher.proboards79.com/index.cgi?board=flyflytying&action=display&thread= 1134550533:3b917]http://completefisher.proboards79.com/index.cgi?board=flyflytying&action=display&thread= 1134550533[/url:3b917]

Cheers
    Alan.

------------------
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

whitetail (419-843-2106)

+ Reply to Thread