+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Bad E-Bay Experience

Default A Bad E-Bay Experience

Mr. Castwell, if this is an inappropriate post, please delete it.

I just got off a live chat with the E-Bay folks after someone made a bid on an item with my account information. I tried to get the E-Bay folks to check into this problem, but they said there was nothing they could do. I urge all of you to be cautious and keep a close check on your E-Bay account! I have not looked at my account for several days and was surprised to find a bid on a wristwatch, as well as several other items being placed on my "Watch" list. No one but me is supposed to know my account information, so I have no idea what has happened. Since E-Bay would not attempt to resolve the issue, I had no choice but to cancel my account with them. No more buying fly fishing tackle through E-Bay for me now. I'm not pleased to be unable to use E-Bay, but I feel I must protect myself from fraud.
    I urge each of you to keep a close eye on your accounts, if you have any with E-Bay. Something strange may be going on there! If you do have something strange happen, I hope you have better luck getting it resolved than what I did.

Blog Entries

garyj147 If I were you I'd check my bank account and credit cards without delay . You may have been hacked and a logging program could have stole all the passwords from your computer . Thieves use these devices to steal identities . Which by the way Ebay should already have told you .
    Hopefully it only involves Ebay but caution is the best policy .
    A friend of my son and wanna be hacker asked me if he could check his email on my computer , I wasn't really paying attention till I heard the alarm go off on my security system . I went over to check see what he was having trouble with and found that he tried to slip a cd in which had several virus on it . Apparently kids think this is funny . It is that easy to slip a logging program into a computer .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Gary,

Sorry that you ran into that kind of problem. I guess that I have been lucky so far. It would be helpful to the rest of us if you named some names so that we can avoid the offender. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Sorry to hear the trouble you are going thru, but this is not the first problem I have read about regarding e-bay here on FAOL. I personally don't use it nor trust anything that has to do with e-bay.

------------------
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Gnu Bee,
    I have already checked with my credit card company and bank to alert them to possible fraud. I also canceled my PayPal account. So far, it seesm only E-Bay was affected. What steams me is the nonchalant manner the E-Bay folks handled the situation. They acted as if I were the culprit instead of the victim.

Eight Thumbs,
    I wish I knew the name(s) of the guilty party! Of course, I could not even get the name of the E-Bay person who handled my complaint. One would think if E-Bay is truly concerned about security and the protection of their clients, they would take steps to be more customer oriented. Like many businesses, if they forget the customer or treat them badly, they will not remain in business much longer.

garyj147,

My wife has been receiving several supposedly e-bay e-mails that ask for account information because of some problem or another. The screen that comes up doesn't look like a real e-bay screen; but; it's probably close enough to fool some folks. Hopefully you didn't respond to one of these fake e-bay requests. She's also been the recipient of several fake MSN screens asking for info and has copied them and reported them to the MSN folks. They were quick to respond; thanked her and assured her that they were all fakes.

Hi garyj147,

The same as Grn Mt Man, I received an e-mail looking for me to update my account information. The following is the letter from who-ever!!!
    Dear eBay Community Member,

It has come to our attention that your eBay Billing Information records are out of date.
    That requires you to update the Billing Information If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your billing records, you will not run into any future problems with eBay's online service. However, failure to update your records will result in soon account termination. Once you have updated your account records, your eBay session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service
    (TOS) violations or future billing problems.
    There was also an e-mail address to go to and enter your information.
    If you received this and responded to it, it is probally why your account got taken over by somebody else.
    E-bay will never ask you to update your information after you set up your account. It's to bad there we have idiots out there that ruin a good thing.

My imput,
    salmonguy
    Catch & Release Works...

Gary,
    I am not sure if this is related or not, but several weeks ago e-bay and pay-pal had a problem with a hacker sending out emails to e-bay and pay-pal customers asking them to renew their account information. This was a fraudulent attempt at getting customer information to use for fraud. It cam out in a news story here in Connecticut and as luck would have it, I saw the news footage prior to actually getting one of those emails so I just deleted it. As always be very careful of anyone asking for information. FYI, I believe the news station was WFSB ( [url=http://www.wfsb.com:efbf7]www.wfsb.com[/url:efbf7] ) maybe you can look through their archives for further info.
    Eric.

I have never used E-bay and probably won't. I get all sorts of these "update" notices, some from "banks" and internet companies I don't even use. The part I like is the request to keep it "confidential." I even got one I sent to LadyFisher. About every third word was spelled wrong.. most of them not even close to correct. Some people will try anything once I guess.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

Whats happened is called PHISHING, and it's not the kind we do. Google that word and watch what happens - about 2 million hits. It's a big scam and it's getting worse.
    I flyfish the salt because the voices in my head tell me to...

+ Reply to Thread