+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clouser Minnow Colors and Sizes

Default Clouser Minnow Colors and Sizes

I'm new to fly tying and fly fishing in general, starting out just this year. I've started tying the Clouser Minnow and Lefty's Deceiver in the standard colors.

I've read that you should go with darker colors on overcast days or when the water is not clear (Lord knows we've had a lot of that around the Northeast).

Is this true? What are good color combos?

Also, what is the smallest deceiver or clouser minnow that you've seen?

Thanks in advance,
    dc

------------------
    Many men go fishing all of their lives
    without knowing that it is not fish they
    are after.

Henry David Thoreau

Both Clouser deep minnows and Lefty's deceivers can be tied down to trout sizes.
    For Northeast saltwater, I carry them down to size 4.

I've been tying a lot of my SW flies in the Ray's fly colors lately (olive over yellow over white).
    Often you will find that different colors work better at different light levels and different times of year.
    When I started tying SW flys I got a bag of buck tail pieces from cabala's' cheap. Lots of colors so you can try different combos.

Gary LaFontaine once wrote about what he called his "Theory of Light". Of course he was talking trout flys, but I find it applies well to the salt.
    If I understand it (and I don't really), you should match the color of your fly to the color of the light. For example I've found that a pink or orange fly works well (for me) at sun down when the sky is the same color.
    A yellow or white fly when the sun is high.
    This is just a theory, but it's something to think about.

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 28 October 2005).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Kind of depends on your target species when you're thinking of colors. For crappies and walleye I'll tie Clousers on size 10 streamer hooks white over pearl flashabou over white. LMB will take that combination, too, much to my surprise. using a little flash helps alot. Sometimes I'll throw in some yellow over red over white (kind of a Mickey Finn Clouser?) which works well with bass. Key for Clousers in my opinion is to tie them quite sparce. You also might check out those kink-shank popper hooks. They work well as Clouser hooks, too. Just some thoughts. JGW

Hey DC,

The neat thing about the Clouser minnow is you can do most anything with it. Darker colors with some orange work great as crayfish imitations. They could be tied relatively full so they move a bit of water. Also big heavily dressed clousers seem to work well in situations where the spin fishers might use plastic grubs, etc. Sparsely tied they make good small minnow imitations such as anchovies, glass minnows,etc. As far as colors, chartreuse over white needs to be in your box. I like all black for muddy water. Otherwise try and "match the hatch" so to speak.

Regards,
    Keith

------------------
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." Kermit the Frog

We had Clouser at a recent club meeting and the smallest he likes to tie is a straight eye 10, white with 5 strands of gold sparkle on top and red squirrel tail under. I noticed he didn't add all of the deer or squirrel material at one time. Squirrel is slick and by adding a little at a time you get a tighter wrap. I have the flies that he tied, he likes white on top with light green or chartreuse under- all with the flash strands on top. His small fly choise is the red squirrel.

------------------

Bill

Some common dark color schemes for me are-
    Black/red/white
    Black/olive/tan
    Brown/orange/tan
    Black

Smallest sizes I tie them in?
    Clouser- #14 for fishing
    Deceiver- #20 for fun

I love my Clousers.I tie them in black over white(minnow)sliver with gray flash(shad)
    and chartruse and white. They all catch fish.tie them mostly in sizes 12-4 on long shank down eyes. Crappie gills and lgb.LGB seem to prefer the chartruse.Don't know why don't care just love the fight.
    The silver and grayhas been mildly productive on Channel cats have 7 so far this yr boated and several ? broke off or elected to self release.

Black & pearl on KrystalFlash...killer!!!

Rocketfish

Love an all black sparce Clouser, on a # 6 straight eye Mustad (3366?). A few strands of pearl or rainbow krystal flash in the middle. Big 'gills, crappies, bass, channel cats...

That's a lot of great information and I want to thank everyone. One more question.
    What size barbell do you use on the little versions or do you use different kinds of eye?
    Thanks again,
    dc

+ Reply to Thread