+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sheep wool

Default sheep wool

hi gang long tim no talk. i have a friend that has a farm and got some sheeps wool on the hide. what can i do with this?
    thanks fisher

fisher999;
    Posts for spinners or parachutes? I'm going to sort of attach my self and follow along to see what the other members would suggest (I do this alot!!).

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

The Good-ole "Butt Monkey" Streamer (refer
    to "Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout") !!!!!

Wool head sculpins and other streamers. I have used it for some wooly bugger bodies this summer.

Don
    Don Rolfson

My mother raises sheep, Jacob and Shetland, 2 of the oldest breeds. She also does her own dyeing, she dyes naturally using; onion skins, berries, roots, wood chips, etc. The fibers differ a bit depending on the breed of sheep; Shetland sheep have a very soft, fine, semi-short fiber - Jacob have a softer, longer fiber, somewhat curly. She also has access to Lancaster sheep fiber which is quite long and fairly straight.

I use wool on every fly that requires a dubbed body where yarn could/would be used. I get wool in many varied colors and there's never too much trouble matching the hatch since naturally dyed wool tend to vary in color intensity; i.e. light and dark through the same groups of fiber. It kinda all depends on how it's handled and what dye is used.

I still use rabbit and llama, etc. But, since the wool is so readily available I use it most. It make great wooly worms!

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

fisher999,

Great to hear from you. You can spin that wool on a hook shank for a body, use bucktail for the tail, and smear some wetted clear silicone over the trimmed body for a Bob Popovic's Siliclone. Or smear some epoxy over the trimmed body if you want the fly to sink faster. Sort of like a SAS Minnow.

SAS Minnow link: [url=http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/flymonth/FOTM122002.htm:91020]http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/flymonth/FOTM122002.htm[/url:91020]

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Most wools take koolaid dye real well and if the wool is long enough can be used for baitfish patterns like SAS and Polar minnow.
    For anyone looking for wool hides IKEA sells some 20$ about 6-8 sq. ft.

Or you could learn to knit!! (A novel use of 1#'s)

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

The uses of it are as limited as your imagination. I purchased a pound of wool at the fair three years ago. I have used it a lot, for dubbing, streamer wings, to make yarn for boddies, spinning it for heads and boddies, the works. After all that use, I can hardly tell that I have used any. Oh, by the way, the pound of wool I bought game in a small trash bag, for 3$ !!!!! I have seen patches of wool for that price at the fly shop. It dies very well too. I have also used to wool for strike indicators. I tie a duncan loop on 10 pound test, and put a pinch of wool into the loop, and tighten the knot. Makes the wool ball up like a glo bug. Goop it well with past floatant, and use another duncan loop to fasten it to the leader. I had to do this in a pinch while fishing, and liked it enough to do it when I need to go deep.

Have fun with it, Jeff

------------------
    Tis my time on the water, in the mountains, and in my driftboat where I can see things as they really are.

A knitted fly ???? What a novel idea...& has to be better then weaved !!!!! Canya Knit me up one of those 32's for the swap Betty lol ?????

+ Reply to Thread