+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Do you collect?

I,m not a died in the wool collecter but I do have too much stuff. But I can always use some more!

I agree with Allan, if you collect for a hobby, you've got it bad and need to go away for a while.

If I were a psychiatrist I'd prescribe a trip to a quiet stream lined on both sides with large maples emblazoned with autumn colors and a few dimpling trout!

This will cure the "feather and fur shakes" for a while, at least until the trip home. Be careful though, your jeep may schreech to a halt on its very own when it spots a dead skunk on the road or it could chase a squirrel up a tree. Try explaining that one to a NYS Trooper!

Ol' Bill

in under 2 years ... went from briefcase, to 2 briefcases, added a rubbermaid 10 gallon tote, added 4 drawer - 4 gallon ea. cabinet, added another carry-case, started hanging on wall to see what I got - now all is full again ........ I never look at road-kill racoons quite the same as my wife does - she screems when I slow a bit .......... deer aren't creatures, they're stores of great food, spinning hair & leather for leech patterns ...... chickens, geese, ducks, never leave local stores without a trip through craft sections ...... even our Chinchilla supplies great blue-grey dubbing.....
    hmms, just don't have enuf ... never will - same-ole, same-ole .....

Two in every size, one in every color. That's the proper way to acquire all materials for fly tying.

------------------
    Swing hard, in case they throw the ball where you're swinging. Duke Snider
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

Quills and guard hairs pull out of a road kill porcupine very cleanly and easily. I keep a shoe box, leather gloves and some large zip lock bags with me all the time. Just keep it segregated and sealed until you can get a chance to clean it.
    A friend from Michigan sent me an entire skinned and salted pelt one time. Problem is the skin shrinks and very hard to pull out without squashing the quills. Guard hairs can be cut but often I need the end of the quill that is in the skin.

mantis,

I was once told,perhaps by you, that the easy way to collect quills off of a porcupine (a dead one, of course) is to throw a sheet over it. Add a little pressure and lift the sheet. The quills will stick in it then you just have to remove them. Otherwise, and with almost any question porcupine connected, the answer is - 'carefully'.

Allan

I don't collect. I have used some of all the materials that I have.
    I have about 200 flies that are ready to use. I even wlaked by some Christmas tinel in red, greeen, silver and gold the other day.
    I may not do that if it is on sale after Christmas.
    Rick

Oh my...Vaccu-saver.....yes, definitely what I need. If it not too big, it might interfere with the pile of stuff in "my" end of the home office.

Dwight

Ohhhhhhh......ubba, ubba, ubba.......drool.....muscle twitch.....I am not a collector, I am not a collector, I am not a collector........There's no place like home......there's no place like home......there's no place like home....click...click...click

Wha, wha....where am I? Back in my tying room. All this junk......I AM a collector! Dam you,,,,,dam you feathers! You can't control me anymore!

Dazed & confused in Milwaukie.

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

After reading over this topic last night, I actually slowed down to look at a rod kill this morning. I don't know what it was its body was squashed but the tail was still in tact kinda looked like a skunk with that white and black tail. But anyways I might have to go back and get it tonight or even pick up a few deer with my car or just find some laying on the side of the road that others knocked off and collect that hair.

Marko

You guys should be ashamed! You've totally corrupted poor xisintheend! Now he's out, roaming the roadways, picking up dead stuff! BTW ... porcupine quills work wonderfully as a bodkin.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread