+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your thoughts on Vise Upgrade

I think once the decision has been made to upgrade ... price while important certainly, should not be the deciding factor. When it was time for me to upgrade, I sat down and tested each vise personally. Each vise has a different "feel" to it. I tried them all ... Dyna King ( which I think I would have purchased if I tied a lot of larger patterns or salt water tying ) the Law and the Renzetti stood out for me. Again by the "feel" of the vise while tying. The Law is a great vise but I ended up with the Renzetti. For some reason it made me "feel" at home. I've had the vise now for three years and have no complaints at all with it's performance. Lawsuits aside, they make great vises. So my advise would be to sit down and tie a fly on each. The right one will stand out.

Salmonfly had execellent advise and comments. The right feel should be the right one. As I said above, perhaps one should read the review of the Dingo here on FAOL. Now last year I couldn't get to the Aussie website so gave up on it. Today, I scrolled to the bottom of the review and clicked on the website and it popped up immediately. You can see and read more about the vice.....check the price for the MKII which is the true rotary for $658 + S & H. But in their website is a US dollar to Australian dollar conversion site. I used it and you have to be careful and go the right way with it. If you go backwards you will get a reading too good to be true. Like 57 cents. Use it correctly and you will find out that (if I did it correctly) 75 US cents = Australian dollar. So take the $658 and multiply by .75. That makes the vice $493 + S&H. I wish I had known that last year, I would have purchased one. One month guarantee...if you don't want it you get your money back. Sort of a one month free trial. If you keep it......LIFTETIME GUARANTEE ON PARTS AND LABOR! I hope I did this calculation right, otherwise I am mis-leading a lot of people. If you have to divide by .75 it would be $877. I "think" it would be approx $500 for us in US dollars and that is a very good looking piece of machinery.

Gem

I have a peak vise and absolutley love it if you get one make sure and get the midge jaws. I have used some really big hooks even with the midge jaws and was impressed by the way it handle it I was using a size 2 and do that quite often. I have tied a couple thousand flies or more this year with mine and no regrets or mishaps yet. Good buy highly recemend this vise.

The Peak vise looks and seems amazing.
    I had a Dan Vise once, the holding power was indeed amazing, but all that vice behind the jaws i found ackward to work with. I since realized after owning the Dan Vise that I really dislike any vise that has a back end, which from my take would include all true rotary vises.
    I swapped my Dan Vise for a load of tying materials and reverted back to my sunrise Eagle which I have been using for the last 4 years, and it's performance and function is just like the day I bought it, and at 55 bucks shipped and delivered it was a tough price to beat. I suppose the only other vise I would consider is a Regal. I think what sets the Eagle apart from the rest of the Regal Knock offs, is its larger body, and as a result I think has much more holding power than the other knock off vises. Or i just got lucky .
    Best of luck with the purchase the vise looks stunning.

later
    MIke

I have the Dynaking Voyager II with both the standard and midge jaws. It's a fine vise for at home or on the road. I find due to its size that I use it more than my DK Barracuda, another fine vise to consider.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the vises suggested here. If at all possible, try and get your hands on some to give them a test drive. Hopefully you have a few ff shops in the area that cover a wide variety. If you have ff friends that tie, ask them if you can try theirs.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread