+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Safety Pin fly

Blog Entries

Default Safety Pin fly

I don't know if this has been on this forum before but I read on another forum that If you take a safety pin and tie a colorful fly onto it that it makes a nice broach . I tied a colorful streamer on one , presented it to my wife . When she determined that I wasn't about to injure her with a sharp fish hook , She was quite pleased and took me out for Pizza .

1 fly = 1 Pizza . Do the math guys , Its worth it .

Caution It makes a nice gift to give just cause you love her but I wouldn't try this on Her birthday or Christmas , Women are usually looking for something more substantial than a 75c fishing lure .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

There was a swap of that kind of fly not long ago...details can be found at:

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum24/HTML/000401.html:35baa]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum24/HTML/000401.html[/url:35baa]

There are even a few pictures sprinkled in that thread for folks that haven't seen this sort of thing before.

I don't think anybody got as good of a deal as you did though...they swapped a fly for a fly. I don't think any of them scored a pizza for a fly. Congrats!

Gnu,
    I tied some up for my lapel pins for my wedding. It took a little time to convince the wife but overall it was pretty cool. The bridesmaid dresses were purple so I tied up some purple leeches with rabbit strips. My brother also had me tie some for his wedding.

------------------
    <*(((((><
    Jim in CO

Great idea!! And, a good way to get rid of some of the scraps as well as the stuff you didn't realy need. What an "Out of the Blue Gift"

------------------
    Cactus

Bostonangler
    We did the same thing at when my wife and I got married. I tyed a Lady Ghost and a Gray Ghost fly pins so we achanged pins and rings during the wedding
    GrayGhost

Blog Entries

Wow that's cool .

Twhack ... now you must feel really bad cause in the swap the guys just got a pin , I got a pizza but wow look how much the other guys got , friends and companions for life .lol

------------------
    Time is the fire that we burn in .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

A bit more $ than a safety pin, but I buy broach pin "hooks". They come in 2 or 3 sizes. (about 1-2 $US I think)

Usually I'll tye up a replica of a client's fly that caught a first (First ever fish on a fly, first ever salmon ...)

Really appreciated as photos are one thing, but these flies are a nice keepsake for the fishing hat or vest.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:1980c]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:1980c]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 23 March 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

GnuBee,

Nope I don't feel bad...I didn't participate in that swap at all (too many other things going on at the time to try learning how to tie on a safety pin). Your original note said you didn't know if the topic had come up so I was just trying to point to more info on it.

Sounds like safety pins flies catch more things than most fishing flies do...

+ Reply to Thread