+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluing Foam

Default Gluing Foam

I am tying some foam flies and I have been using cyanoacrylate glue (super glue, Zap a Gap, etc) to glue two layers of foam together. However, I was wondering what others use for this application and is there something better?? What do you use to glue layers of foam together?

Thanks.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

Hey Bob,

For smaller items, I use the CA such as
    you mentioned. For laminating larger pieces
    I prefer contact cement. Warm regards, Jim

I used some Super 77 spray that worked well.

Rick

Pliobond
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

So far you have a few to pick from -- I use tinned GOOP when gluing up layers and then add a weight. Never had any come apart.

------------------

Bill

I believe I've used all the products mentioned and while the thicker adhesives like Goop or Contact Cement work okay, they seem to add bulk and are not what I would call user friendly in this application. I agree with Rick Z and found the spray on Super 77 by 3M works best for me. Spray on a nice even coat, place the second sheet of foam on top and place a large heavy book or board to press the sheets together evenly and let it dry. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

On the Super 77, do you find it is water proof? Any problem with flies coming apart with long days on the water? I was thinking of using it.

I have not used the thicker adhesives, but I can understand they add aditional bulk and weight. However, I will give them a try.

Thanks.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

Super 77 works good for gluing multiple sheet for club sandwich hoppers. Never had a problem with the sheets delaminating from water.
    I know there is also a cheaper product out that is similar that is supposed to work also but I have never tried it personally.

I have also never experienced a problem with delamination of the foam glued with Super 77. One can of Super 77 will glue so much foam, I am not really concerned about finding a generic adhesive. It also works well when I want to add a mylar coating to sheets of foam for gurglers or minnow patterns using sheet foam.

Jim Smith

I stated above that GOOP has worked for many tying problems one being layering foam--I said tinned Goop not the thicker adhesive. Every tier should have a small can of lacquer thinner and acetone. Goop can be thinned in an old glue bottle with lacquer thinner and painted on the foam with a brush. Acetone for epoxy. Ever stick your finger with superglue--keep a can of each around your tying area.

------------------

Bill

+ Reply to Thread