+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Patterns Made into Ear Rings ???

Default Fly Patterns Made into Ear Rings ???

I've heard of classic wet flies, Atlantic Salmon Flies, & Streamers made into ear rings. An Artisan shop owner that is show casing some of my patterns mentioned that some of these patterns would make great ear rings, & that many women including her would buy them. Can anyone tell me where to get the special hooks to make these ???
    Thanks for your responses ahead of time !!!

I have a collection of classics that my dad and I tied years ago. One day my daughter came hme from college wearing a grey ghost on each ear. She cut of the bend of the hook and point.

Tony's Frog is another one that I have tied with Tony. One lady from France at a show bought 3 pair for her shop with the point cut off. [url=http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/flymonth/FOTM042002.htm:f13ab]http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/flymonth/FOTM042002.htm[/url:f13ab]
    Streamer hooks from 8x or 6x long size 6 to 2s down to staight eye size 4 and 2 for smaller flies.

------------------

Bill

[This message has been edited by William Fitzgerald (edited 24 August 2005).]

You can get ear ring posts in the clamp on
    or pierced variety at many craft shops as
    well as Walmart. Many will accept a
    standard hook eye to hang the fly. I have
    done some "When Pigs Fly" ear rings. Warm
    regards, Jim

Tony sent me a pair of the Froggie earrings and they have a small gold bead (glued I assume) on the hook point. They are just so neat! Love them.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I used a dremel tool with the stone attachment and blunted the ned of the hook and the barb on the ones that my wife has made. Several of the family members are wearing them.

The royal Coachmen type flies have beent he most popular.

Rick

One would have to think a regular barbless hook with the point blunted as Rick said,Would be the ticket....Remember to recoat the area with some kind of coating material to seal it from rusting and keep it sterile,Don't want Honey getting an infection....and you getting a rather painful lump on your knogin....for your artistan endevor's....lol

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Blog Entries

I did that with a tungsten cone slumpbuster a month or so ago. Double haul and everything. WHACK. Thank god for barbless hooks.

8. Default

I always snap off the bend of the hook when diong ear-rings now... had a few friends and clients tell me the hook snagged on their pullover when dressing/undressing.
    Just something to keep in mind!

Andy

------------------
    "My fishing is no longer an obsession, an addiction, or a mania; it's much more than that!
    " - Dave Micus

As mentioned you can get the pierced ear ear ring hangers at Michael's. A buck or two for a life time supply. I've tied several pair of Mink leeches gluing a bead on the clipped off point. The mink came from an old coat of M'Lady and she now wears the ear rings with color co-ordinated beads. Call it recycling.

------------------
    Snow on the roof but with fire still in the hearth

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.
    I was just looking at some classic wet flies & Atlantic Salmon flies (not to mention Carrie Stevens Streamers), & getting excellent ideas. Only would get a noggin lump if I accidentally backcasted a lead eyed leech & re-pierced my wife's ear (thank God for barbless like ya said !!!)

+ Reply to Thread