+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy (or substitution) help

Default Epoxy (or substitution) help

Please share your thoughts on a good brand of Epoxy (or substitution)to use primarily for wingcase coverage on nymphs. I am preferably looking for something that is "one part" not "two parts" where mixing is required.
    FYI - I've tried Loon Products Hardhead, and it works TERRIBLE if you actually fish with it!!! The epoxy area becomes cloudy after about 10 mins under water.
    Thanks in advance for your help

------------------
    Set 'em free!!!

Feathers and fingernails are made of the protein keratin. Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails is great for both as a protective/strengthening coating.

I have used several products, but I still think the epoxy works best. It is more hassle to mix up the 2 parts, but nothing else I have tried has had the transparancy, durability and ability to 'flow' into a smooth coating. For shell backs I like the DevCon 5 minute product, sticking the finished bug upside down in a block of foam during cure time.

Here is a quick list of stuff I have tried...

Soft Body - significant fumes, don't like to use unless well ventalted. Does not cure as transparent as epoxy.

Loon's Hard Head, like you said-turns cloudy in water after a while. I do like their black version however.

Sally Hansons 'Hard as Nails' - requires several coats for a good build up, not as durable as epoxy. Bleads color from some dyed materials.

U-40 rod wrap finish (urethane) - goes on easy, dries in 15 minutes, durable and transparant. Requires several coats, limited shelf life after opening.

Epoxy - Inexpensive, found at any corner hardware store. Durable, near optical quality transparent, compatable with most dyed or synthetic materials. Long shelf life. Flows into smooth shapes hiding any application marks. Adjustable cure time based on using 5 min. 30 min. and 2 hr. product lines. Can be accelerated and smoothed out with a gentle blast from a hair dryer. Doesn't smell so bad that the wife complains. Cleans up easily with white vinegar.

One trick for the epoxy is to do a dozen bugs at one time, so you don't need to mix several batches. Squirt the 2 part mix into the corner of a small plastic sandwich bag and twist the corner into a small strawberry shape. Knead the mix together through the plastic for mixing and snip off the corner for a handy single use applicator. Toss the whole thing in the trash when finished.

This makes it almost as convenient to use as a tube of household glue.

Epoxy is a two part process. When mixed they react and harden. You need the two parts. I've used the Devcon 5 min and it works fine.

Loon Hard Head is not an epoxy, it is a urethane, moisture cure I would guess.

If you want to try other urethanes why not get some Trondak U-40. It's a urethane rod wrap finish. Should work. You can get it at Hook & Hackle.

There are other no mix products that air dry:

Softex is a solvent based drying material. Problem is it smells of strong solvent.

Then there is Anglers Choice, which is water based, but it dries slow.

Another alternative is use a hot melt glue. If you do, you need to quench it in cold water so it hardens clear.

------------------
    Joe

I've had good sucess with Loon UV Knot Sense. one part-UV Cure. Does not cloud in water. Fresh and Salt water compatible..

RL

I agree with RL. Knot Sense is easy to use and cures within seconds in the sun or with their UV penlight. It's all I use now for Copper Johns, etc.
    Joe

Excellent advice from all!!! Thanks!

Kengore... that plastic bag mixing advice for epoxy is genius!! Thanks. You just saved me a lot of aggravation.

Diane

------------------
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW---What A Ride!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Yes kengore,

That certianly sound like a great way to keep out the peskie air bubbles as well....Ty,I will be employing this one on more than devcon,Two part rod finnishes would be a whole lot less messy as well.

Beats trying to pour/scrape it into a syringe for applying,Which also burns working time as well....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

You get air bubbles by stirring too hard--be gentle. The two BOTTLE epoxy is much better than the two attached tube type. Easyier to mix the correct amounts.If your epoxy is thick next time buy it in a model airplane store,or add acetone.

------------------

Bill

+ Reply to Thread