+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has this Happened to You?

Default Has this Happened to You?

I have had all my tying equipment and tool taken when my house was rob a few years ago. Now getting back into tying and the only good thing is that I can get a better vise. But to get a good base of material is very costly. I find myself looking starter kits, but am worried about quality.

Any sugestions?

[This message has been edited by Northern Fisher (edited 25 March 2005).]

Hi Northern,

Why not built a bit at a time. For years I stocked two hook types for my personal tying: 3XL streamer (9672) & dry fly (94840). Those two will cover a lot of differenct options for you. Start by purchasing a spool each of black and brown thread; a package each of black & brown marabou, a package each of brown, green, & brown chenille, and a packet each of grizzly, brown, & black saddle hackle. With those materials you can tie a lot of woolly buggers. Add a package of Hare's Ear dubbing and a turkey tail and you can tie HE Nymph's. If you look in your wife's (significant others) sewing basket, you may be surprised the goodies hiden within. Every couple of weeks you can add another package or two of a material you need for the next bunch of flies. Good luck & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:e7eb9]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:e7eb9]

Thanks Al

I am going to do that, start with a little bit at a time.
    The vise is going to be my big purchase right a way. going to look at the Montana Mongoose tomorrow. Hope it is as good as the advertisements.

Northern, something to consider. If you will, click on the link in Al's post. Go to catalogue and scroll to the Dan Vise.
    I have this vise and as far as I am concerned, it is the best out there for your money.
    Hope you don't mind Al. -Yaf
    A warm summers rain falls down on a quiet fishing stream
    Lined with cabins, smoke straight to the sky
    Two ol fishin buddies with never a care
    Teasing a trout with a fly.
    (Simani, "This Isle of Mine")

I just love my Dan-vise. Best value for your buck out there.
    Saltamontes

take a look on Ebay if you are considering a danvise, I bought mine 2 weeks ago for $65 US, a fantastic vise at a great price.

------------------
    Work is a means for people to afford their fishing.

If you get a Danvise, consider getting the heavy jaws as an extra. They used to be $32 on e-Bay, but have dropped to about $20. They can be rigged on the Danvise to work like Clouser jaws on other rotarys.
    I flyfish the salt because the voices in my head tell me to...

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I know what you mean about the initial money outlay. I still don't have a very extensive set-up, after 2 or 3 years. I probably tie about 10 different patterns that work good for me, in a few standard sizes. I just try to stay stocked up for what I need to tie them. I have recently gotten lucky on EBay and won an auction for a mixed lot of hooks, saddles, feathers, fur and such. I got enough stuff to tie probably around 100+ flies for $15.00, plus a few odd tools and threads. I may experiment with them on some new patterns. You might consider giving EBay a shot.

Northern Fisher:

I suggest don't buy a kit. Too much stuff you won't use. Get a good vise (I love my Regal C-Clamp Rotary and have been uning it for 12 years).
    Materials: buy only what you need to tie the flies you will be fishing with the most. As you build up your fly inventory, you can gradually add materials bit by bit, rather than overlwheming your pocket book if you buy a hufe inventory all at once.

Hey, you could also make your plight known on FAOL and request donations of materials. You might be pleasantly surprised how many tiers have stuff, not junk, but nice materials they'd be willing to part with to help out a friend & fellow tier.

------------------
    "Feed the good wolf."

If you are looking at ebay for the dan-vise, keep an eye open for material packages that are not prepackaged, but are from an estate or a tyer not tying any more. I have found some nice stuff that way, including a tube of Overton's Wonder Wax.

There are also hunter types that sell a lot of feathers that they harvest from their hunts, and others selling feathers from their stocks of birds.

+ Reply to Thread