+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carrie Stevens Pattern

Default Carrie Stevens Pattern

I plan on tying the Allie's Favorite and some other Carrie Stevens patterns that call for a red band on the head of the fly.

Where do you place the band, at the center of the head or the rear to simulate a gill slash?

Center of the thread head so that 3 stripes are formed. You may find that orange is better then red after you apply head cement.

Allan

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Bamboozle,

If you are really interested in Carrie Stevens and her flies, there is a great book available. The book is called Carrie G. Stevens by Graydon & Leslie Hilyard published in 2000 by Stackpole Books. There's some great history and pictures about the early Rangley Area, the people and fishing. You can actually find out who Allie was.

BTW, while most of Carries flies had the red band in the middle of the head, there were other variations. Some had a green or orange band in the middle. Some had a double red band; red against the eye, black, red and then black again. Also, some of her flies did not have the band at all. Very complicated. Good luck with your tying. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

I could be wrong,but I read somewhere that the red band was her "trademark". I dont tie mine with the colored band for that reason.CJ

Her pattern recipes don't call for the red band. It was used to indicate that she had tied that particular fly. I've put it on some flies and not others, and could find no difference in effectiveness, so now I leave it off.

+ Reply to Thread