+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Bamboo Rod

Default Old Bamboo Rod

A friend of mine found a Shakespear A 1305 B 9' 3 pc rod at a garage sale for $10.00. It has a spring loaded reel seat!?
    I told him I try to find more info on it and he want's me to restore it. The tip and middle section are stuck togather and after removing a couple of feet of electrical tape from the tip section we found some 2 to 3" splits. Which I think came from a car door or trunk lid.
    The tip section is crooked and the wraps are in bad shape. This can be fixed.
    With the exception of the split's I'd say this is a restorable rod. Those bother me, can they be re-glued and then re-inforced with a 3" wrap?

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

Hijack

Is there any way you can cast the rod? Lots of those old mass produced rods were pretty bad specially 9'ers. My wifes aunt has an old 9' (Granger I think) that is perhaps the worst casting rod I have ever personally cast. Your friends rod may not be worth fixing up.

John Channer built a new tip for a South Bend rod that I broke....he does good work but he charges for it....you might ask him in the chat room thursday eve.

Jerry

------------------
    "The only thing worse than getting old is not getting old"

Jack, the splits can in fact be repaired and in a lot of cases, if the bamboo is not degraded or splintered, it will never be noticed. Reparing a delamination is not that difficult and will yield a good end product if done correctly.

First determine if it is delaminated or if it is splintered. if it is delaminated, you first have to clean out any depris that may have accumulated in the openings created by the delamination. Secondly, you have to ensure that it is nice and dry...not too hard to do as well.
    Next comes the painstaking part. Get some regular sewing pins or pins that come with a new shirt (there is use for those things other than leaving them in a shirt to stick yourself with). Now very carefully, use the pins to hold the delamination open so that you can apply a generous amount of glue into the openings. What i always do, is to get some strong string and wrap just below the delaminated section several times to prevent the delamination from extending as I open it up to apply the glue. After you put the glue in the openings, wrap the entire section of the delamination and use the strength of the wrap to hold the glued section together as it dries. After you have it wrapped and tied off, you can use a damp cloth to remove some of the excess squeezed out glue to make the finishing easier, also gently ensure that the section is straight at the glued up portion. After it is dried, you can do the clean up work and rebuild the section.

If it is spintered, I would suggest finding a new tip (new to the rod) since scarfing a section is probably too expensive an investment for a Shakespeare 1305.

As far as the Grangers go, I guess there are some that do probably cast pretty badly, I don't have one that does and I have several Grangers and Wright McGills. I do know that many of the 9' Grangers, even in bad condition are bringing pretty good dollars these days because of their desired actions. But then again, if every one liked the same action in a rod, then only one kind would be made.

Thanks for the help giy's but it is now a wall hanger I think. I made the mistake of not taking the rod with me and the owner just had to waggle it. He said it folded over at the splintered section which is more damage than I want to tackle!!
    I'll put a nice wrap on the area and clean it up for his wall.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

dleo,

I have a related problem with a bamboo tip that delaminated the first 6 inches down from the tip. Rod is about 60 year old Heddon.I understand the gluing process. The question is the glue. Epoxy, Elmers Waterproof, Plastic Resin...?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Bear
    Bear742

Bear-----Titebond 3 works very well.

Bear,

Use either Titebond III of golf club maker's epoxy. Either wii work fine. Good luck on your project!!

Regards and WDE!!!
    Bob L.

" Never take a beer to a job interview. "
    --Robert Earl James

I like either the titebond III or Gorilla glue. I think more partial to the gorilla glue because of the shear tests i have read about at the US Forest service...(funny place for shear tests of glue but it is all a part of their reclamation program). I have used the gorilla glue for gluing up cork too...that foaming action helps to fill some of the voids found in cork.

Thanks folks. Tite bond looks promising.
    Bear742

Which has the longer working time- Titebond or Gorilla? I'm having a lot of delam issues on a rod I'm working on.
    Thanks.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread