+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Couple Questions bout blanks action

Default Couple Questions bout blanks action

I thought there were only Fast Action, Medium Action and Full Action blanks. Or Tip Flex, Mid Flex, and Full Flex. Now I hear about Moderate Fast Action. Is there such a thing or is someone just trying to call it a mid flex for a mid flex customer...or call it a fast action for a person looking for a tip flex blank?

Also, if you receive a blank from a person....as opposed to ordered for a specific action.....how can you tell what action or flex it is? If it is a true "Moderate Fast Action" wouldn't it be difficult to determine....just on your own if it is tip flex or mid flex?

Gem

Rod action is subjective. A fast action to me may be a med-fast to someone else. The Orvis flex system is s feeble attempt to discribe rod action but to my mind a system has never been derived to do it right and probably never will.
    The biggest problem in rod building is not being able to cast a rod before you put the time, money and effort in to it only to wind up not liking the rod.....Its a crap shoot.

Blog Entries

Moderate fast is between moderate and fast. Sorta like medium rare. There is a system of classifying rod actions and feel:
    [url=http://www.common-cents.info/:5969d]http://www.common-cents.info/[/url:5969d]

check it out.

Greg

The faster the action the more the rod initially flexes towards the tip. Most usually you see fast meaning that it flexes initially in the upper 1/3rd, medium is in the upper 1/2 and slow is one that even initially flexes all the way down to the handle So some fishermen combine terms when the action is on the borderline between any two of these.

I'd also agree that the AA degree ratings of the Common Cents System make a hell of a lot more sense as you can see where the rod flexes and put an actual number on it. Really helps when making comparisions.

And remember that all blanks will flex into the butt area if you put enough load on them. Action is just where the blank initially bends.

+ Reply to Thread