+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Hair Mouse

Default Deer Hair Mouse

Finally got the proportions and hook type right on this deer hair mouse. I saw this pattern on Youtube, it's the Deer Hair Mouse by Andreas Andersson. Not a complicated tie when it comes to deer hair flies.

Enjoy,

Alberto

Not complicated!! My eyes cross just thinking about it!!!
    Could you post the YouTube link please, I'm too lazy to look for myself!!!
    Thanks,
    Mike

Mike,

Here is the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHAGrBGo1Ys

It is a long video, 40 minutes or so, as most deer hair patterns tend to be, but Andreas does a great job explaining the techniques he uses. I called the fly non complicated because it uses two techniques to fill the hook with deer hair. The belly is a clump of deer hair that gets rolled to the bottom of the hook, then flared. The back of the fly is a clump, with tips left intact, that gets tied on top like an elk hair caddis wing. Then secure both clumps, pack, and repeaat. When compared to other bass bugs, it's less complicated.

Alberto

Very nice rodent, Alberto.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

This is one of my favorite patterns to tie. It also works very well on the Ausable at night and not bad for Bass in the Florida lakes. Great job on this one. Keep'em coming.
    God Bless America

Thanks Alberto! Ae you tying at the NH Show this year?
    Mike

Mike,

Unfortunately not, we have family from NY that comes up every year on that weekend to go skiing. I have not tied at that show in a couple of years. I'm working on switching this family visit to another weekend.

Alberto

Very nice tie, Alberto. I forgot who wrote the article, but it has been pointed out that the ears and eyes are probably more for the tier than the fish, so I tend to favor patterns that emphasize profile over details personally (e.g. Morrish Mouse or Master Splinter). One suggestion I would make is you might want to rethink your hook choice. I know I tend to like having as much gape as I can get away with, and deer hair mouse patterns tend to crowd classic streamer hooks a bit too much for my taste. For bass something like the TMC8089 is usually favored, but that can be too light for other species. I like the B10, and some favor even heavier hardware, but that might be something else to consider when you go into production, especially considering you are in an area where you might go after pike, musky, etc. Just a thought.

Okay Alberto I'm going to try to get to Concord on a Wednesday night before the tying closes down. I didn't make the show last year but I'm going to try this year.
    Good skiing to you and the family, hopefully there will be snow for you.
    Mike

Whatfly,

Hook gap is definetely important and should not be overlooked in bass bugs. The hook on that fly is a Mustad 3366, size 2/0. You are correct, a streamer hook would not be ideal. Another good option would be a Mustad 37187 but the only sizes I have are 6 and 10 (too small) and 1/0 (a possibility but this hook is hard to find so I save those for when I get comfortable with a pattern). I think the angle of the fly in the photo is hiding some of the actual gap. The fly is laying cantered to one side due to hair.

Regards,

Alberto

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Very nice tie, Alberto. I forgot who wrote the article, but it has been pointed out that the ears and eyes are probably more for the tier than the fish, so I tend to favor patterns that emphasize profile over details personally (e.g. Morrish Mouse or Master Splinter). One suggestion I would make is you might want to rethink your hook choice. I know I tend to like having as much gape as I can get away with, and deer hair mouse patterns tend to crowd classic streamer hooks a bit too much for my taste. For bass something like the TMC8089 is usually favored, but that can be too light for other species. I like the B10, and some favor even heavier hardware, but that might be something else to consider when you go into production, especially considering you are in an area where you might go after pike, musky, etc. Just a thought.

+ Reply to Thread