+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dealing with slippery hair on hairwing streamers

Default Dealing with slippery hair on hairwing streamers

Here is a tip I learned from a Fly Tyer article by Art Scheck on how to deal with slippery hairs (like squirrel tail) when tying hairwing streamers. The pattern is the Shushan Postmaster which uses squirrel tail for the wing. Below is the fly, just before the hairwing is tied in.

Use a soft loop to secure the hair bundle where you want it. Use 3-4 tight thread wraps to secure it in place. Make sure you hold the bundle of hair while securing it.

This is where the technique I learned from the Art Scheck article starts. Lift up about 1/3 of the hair bundle and take two tight thread wraps, pulling down and towards the hook point. This locks the hair bundle you pulled up into place.

Lift up the second third of hair and take two more tight thread wraps.

Finally, lift up the remainder of the hair, and again take two more thread wraps. Always angle the thread twoards the hook point.

Cut the hair butts at an angle, as seen in the photo.

Put a drop or two of head cement where you just cut the hair off. Let it soak for a couple seconds then finish the head as you normally would.

Enjoy,

Alberto

Alberto,

Thanks for the pics and tips. I usually dump half a bottle of Sally on the head instead of a couple drops as you suggest, but I really thin it down a lot to get more penetration.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Thanks Alberto, I copy information like this and save it to my tying folder!
    Mike

very good tying tip

i also take a wrap or two around the hair bundle

A much simpler way, is to secure the hair wing to top of hook shank with 3 or 4 wraps and then take one tight wrap around just the hair wing. Trim the hair and finish wrapping the head area. No glue necessary. Pull as hard as you want the wing will not pull out.

Blog Entries

Try using wolverine hair and you will see what works and what does not.

Tie in slippery hair backward and fold back into the right position. A soft loop or two will keep the bundle in exactly the right place. A little head varnish and waxing thread will help hold the thread wraps in place as you wrap over the bent section.

Thanks for adding all of the other techniques to this thread - so many ways to accomplish the same result.

Hap, the technique you explained I have seen it used on steelhead flies, also gives a nice head shape when finished.

Regards,

Alberto

So Hap, if I am looking at this correctly, tie in the hair butt to the back of the hook, then fold over so the ends go over the front? I am trying to picture this. I assume you get a nice head out of this.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Mike,

Ed Haas used that reverse-tie technique for his steelhead flies, here is an explanation:

http://sstflies.blogspot.com/2015/12...pec-witch.html

It's more involved and requires using a return-eye hook, but the wings are bulletproof.

Regards,

Alberto

Thanks Alberto, that will take a few readings to get the idea set!
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread