+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jigs as ?Flies??

Blog Entries

Definition I found online:

“Jigging is the practice of fishing with a jig, a type of fishing lure. A jig consists of a lead sinker with a hook molded into it and usually covered by a soft body to attract fish. Jigs are intended to create a jerky, vertical motion, as opposed to spinnerbaits which move through the water horizontally.”

Use of a jig hook for a bead head application, no more a jig than a BH bugger. If you are talking about squirmy wormy flies, it is a synthetic aquatic worm, just another material vs chenille.

Unless you are fishing in waters designated as flies only it really makes no difference. In flies only waters the states regulations may outlaw jig hooks. I was told some time ago that people were being ticketed on the Pere Marquette for using flies with lead eyes. Otherwise I draw the limit for fly fishing at about 1/4 of an ounce. Heavier than that I need a spinning rod or a motorcycle helmet.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I don't see much difference between a jig and any other bead headed fly, except the direction of the hook eye. I don't fish with either, but that's my choice.
    Bob

Blog Entries

Rainbow,
    Sorry, I didn’t ask about jigs relative to their legality. Rather, it was whether it is/should be mainstream of fly fishing.
    Just speaking for myself, only, I get pleasure in fly fishing versus other forms; I.e., bait, spinning, etc because I think it is much more sporting.

I guess the next question would be....what do you consider "mainstream of fly fishing" to be?

I agree with the O.P. The new generation of fly angler's have bought right into marketing ploy's. Fish Skulls have made flies into jigs.....articulated flies have turned flies into conventional lures....... a 6wt. line is really an 8wt. line.....short rods were for B.A.S.S. legality even though fly tackle itself was illegal anyway. Pink rods, chartruese reels......

Well, for discussions sake......Most folks seem to base there opinions on what "fly fishing" is through trout-colored glasses.

Larger beads and dumbell eyes were being used in saltwater for many years prior to fish skulls. Crab flies have been tied point up since I can remember, and a crazy charlie doesn't need a fish skull head.

Articulated flies are nothing new to the bass angler.

Myself and many others have been fishing 7 1/2' glass bass rods long before the 7'11" craze hit.

I think if you compare fly fishing for trout to fly fishing for bass, that "mainstream" gets awful wide.

I have tied some patterns on jig heads to get them deep and have the hook point up.
    Some flies like the slumpbuster are tied on jig hooks with a slotted bead.
    Also I know an Iowa game warden. I showed him a couple of the "Jig" flies and asked if I would be cited for using them in "Fly Fishing" only waters.
    He took pictures and has not got back to me yet.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    I have to ask, when did jigs become Flies?

Am seeing more and more posting of jigs purported to be ?Flies?.
    Unh...there is nothing about jig patterns, used for nymphing, that is purported ( appear or claim to be or do something, especially falsely; profess ).

They just plain work and are
    excellent for placing nymph patterns in the most desirable location in the water column:

I use them all the time:

Now, the next thing, in fly fishing, that can be complained about (tungsten off-beads), may be found here - but read the whole article, in it's four parts ( cut & paste - not a hot link):

http://flyfishinggazette.com/the-deadly-off-beads-part1/

PT/TB

Last edited by planettrout; 05-10-2018 at 12:27 AM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread