+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Fly Tying Symposium

If the OP is just discovering that the fly fishing shows (TFS & ISE) have been going down hill, he has not been paying attention. Has been an issue for quite some time. There are still plenty of regional tying events, mostly organized around clubs or the FFI (formerly FFF), that are much more worthwhile.

Would have really liked to have attended the Somerset show in its heydays, but those are sadly behind us I suspect.

I was sad they stopped holding the show in College Park, MD (how many years ago was that?), since it was an easy 40 mile drive. It had been going downhill for years, though; besides the tyer's demonstrations, the only thing I was really interested in was Charlie Collins booth (sorry to hear he wasn't in attendance this time). I went to the show in Somersert 2 years ago and it was like the last few in MD; a bit long in the tooth, and a 4.5 hr drive instead.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

While I did not attend the show in NJ this year, I have done so in the past. I've even tied at a couple of the shows. I have found that most of the large shows are so similar every year that it's like going to see the same movie over and over and expecting the ending to change. I quit going to the shows as I find them to be pretty much a waste of time and money. Just one man's opinion.Jim Smith

If you are going to travel a long distance to see fly tying, come to Mountain Home Ar the third weekend in March Thur,Fri,Sat..
    We hold the Sow Bug Roundup with over 100 fly tiers from all over the world and it only cost $5.00 for all three days.
    Any class you attend is free, and only the best vendors are asked to come.
    You can also take some time off to fish the famous White And Norfork rivers.
    The North Arkansas Fly Fishers hold this every year and over $10,000 of the money raised is given as scholarships to young people majoring in outdoor programs.

Does an individual need an ‘invitation’ to tie at the Sowbug and if so who would you contact? Anyone know?

Blog Entries

If I had a 'Bucket List', which I don't, I would have the Sow Bug event right near the top. I hear it is a great event.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Yes, since this seems to be getting spammed all over the place, here's the reply I made on PAFF:
    The availability of red grouse is interesting... I would like to know where it is coming from. It is actually the State Bird of Alaska and very readily available.

I tie a lot of soft hackles with it every year.

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    The availability of red grouse is interesting... I would like to know where it is coming from. It is actually the State Bird of Alaska and very readily available.

I tie a lot of soft hackles with it every year.
    They were all either from Cookshill or Veniard's, both sourced from England.

I didn't realize that the red grouse is sometimes considered to be a sub-species of the willow ptarmigan. All my supply (and I use it a lot) comes from England.
    Bob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    They were all either from Cookshill or Veniard's, both sourced from England.

I didn't realize that the red grouse is sometimes considered to be a sub-species of the willow ptarmigan. All my supply (and I use it a lot) comes from England.
    It is not sometimes considered, it IS a willow ptarmigan...

We can shoot large numbers here, though they are easiest to get, and most mature on average when they are white. Like blue fox in the Aleutians which do not turn white (even though they were taken from way up north where they do/did turn white) the red grouse do not turn white in Europe. Here they turn white pretty early. I have skinned 60 in a day a number of times...

They are quite edible!

+ Reply to Thread