+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wader leaks

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Wader leaks

Is there any way to fix a seam leak in neoprene waders? Mine have developed a very small leak in the seam right at the middle of my back. It's just a bit of seepage, but enough to be cold and uncomfortable.

Semper Fi!

Aquaseal should do the trick. Spread it over the offending seam.

MAKE SURE TO WEAR RUBBER GLOVES when using it. The stuff is almost impossible to get off of your hands.

a further note on using Aquaseal, get some waxed paper. Once you have the Aquaseal applied cover the area with wax paper and put some weight on it. This will help make sure you have no small leaks and nice smooth finish.
    Ghost

If there warrantied, like Simm's, send them back. Attempting to fix seams voids the warranty on some waders. If not, then Aquaseal.

If you patch it but don't fix the leak, the you can find exactly where the leak is by turning the waders inside-out and filling them up with water. Then your leak will be very evident. This treatment has saved a pair of my waders.

Hi, I always use air to test for wader leaks. Leak the air very, very slowly into your waders and listen for the leak or put them in water if it really a tough leak to find.
    Not to cause any controversy but to give you some food for thought. If a pint of water weighs a pound how many pounds of water would you have at the toe of your waders if you filled them with water? I don't think waders are designed to hold that much weight from the inside.

Gotta tell this again...

A friend of mine was checking his waders for leaks...hung them on the shower head and started to fill them...yep...some where along the line all that weight pulled the pipes right out of the wall...

Visualizing that is...priceless...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana">quote:</font><HR>ducksterman: Gotta tell this again...

A friend of mine was checking his waders for leaks...hung them on the shower head and started to fill them...yep...some where along the line all that weight pulled the pipes right out of the wall...

Visualizing that is...priceless...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been there, done that...

...sort of.

I was in a motel and the shower rod I had them hanging from came crashing down. I held them up so my buddy could find the leak while we laughed our collective a$$es off.

Used the room hair dryer to dry the spot; Aquasealed them and used them the next day although the glue was a bit tacky.

I tried Aquaseal and had no success with it. I know it's the standard of the wader patching industry, I know everybody uses it and has great success with it, but I didn't. I now use Marine GOOP. It's flexible, waterproof, and tough. Just an alternative for your consideration.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

Yup, you have to be careful with that water!

+ Reply to Thread