+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck in a float tube in a lightning storm

I would get the H!!! out of the water anywhere I could private property or not. Let the IDIOTS call the police.I dought very seriously that the cop or anyone else would actually charge you.I know that the press would eat ANY judge alive that actually convicted you under those conditions.Besides whats the fine $50 maybe $100 vs death awwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhh ge thats a tough one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That grafite rod conducts electricity REAL well and water is a GREAT ground.
    I WOULD waltz my happy tail right up onto their dirt and park it.
    Dennis

I'd be up under one of their decks!
    Your footprints in their yard would be lots less destructive than ambulances, fire engines, and rescue squads driven through them when they arrive to haul you out of the lake!!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Coach

I would have gotten out of the water, actually knocked on a door and asked if I could sit out the storm on a porch or in the garage. You might very well have been invited into the house for a cup of coffee or a good stiff drink. I've seen several situations like this occur and found that most people are more than willing to help someone in distress. Please don't risk your life like that again. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Since I do a lot of fishing from a canoe, the same question is in my mind. I can't paddle back to the landing where my car is before the storm hits. Science tells me I do not want to be the highest thing around with lightening discharging from cloud to ground.

Here's what I do. I get to the closest shore having first tucked my graphite rods under the gunwales. Ideally this is a cliff where there are plenty of trees and things up higher. I have never had the luxury of a boat canopy or boathouse though that sounds great. There I might stay in the canoe. If it is a treeless sandy beach, I leave the canoe there and get into the woods or under the eaves of a house. Now if this is private property, I will risk the trespass charge vs electrocution. Finally, I am going to give it a while after the storm passes before I go back out. Lightening is omnidirectional.

If I missed anything,lease let me know. That could save my life.

Mike

------------------
    Bear

[This message has been edited by Bear742 (edited 21 July 2006).]
    Bear742

Keep fishing. One should definitely get out in the middle of the lake and waive that graphite rod like a mad man to scare the lightning away. Graphite does not conduct electricity very well anyway, and the chances that lighting will hit the highest point of a flat surface are very remote. (Well, that's what some Polish guy headed to Florida told me).

The law of access with lakes, ponds, etc. is very different than flowing water. A lot of it turns on how the property underlying the water is deeded, and state law controlling what is called "littoral rights."

[This message has been edited by Rawthumb (edited 21 July 2006).]

O K I feel chastised. No more tubing in a storm, or high humidity, or when the dew point is above 30.
    My limited experience has taught me that water rights and land ownership vary greatly from place to place. In Wisconsin you are legal as long as you are at or below the high water mark on "navigable" waters. Land doesn't have to be posted for a party to be trespassing. Written permission must be on person if requested by a Warden. Seasons,creel limits, and slot size limits vary by water and are usually borders are set by road crossings. There is also a County (Menomonee) that is federal/reservation property that has regulations totally different.
    Thank's for the input on the lightning advise I guess that which doesn't kill makes you stronger/smarter.

------------------
    "Illegitimus nil Carborundum"

+ Reply to Thread