+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tying on flies

HA! Along that fly line I was driving my basketball team to a game years ago. As we passed over a lake I remarked, "I tried ice fishing once but I couldn't get the cubes to stay on the hook!" Ba da bum.
    Mike

True story! A new neighbor lady thought I caught flies and tied them to a hook.

You've probably already got a hemostat on your vest / pack and that makes a great knot tool. If you want to stick with the clinch knot ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQs-iL4gHJk

Search on YouTube and you can find directions for using your hemostat for surgeon's knot (tippet to leader).

C&F Fly Threaders work great. You can use them on stream, or load up a threader with several flies ready to attach to tippet. I often use them with small flies that have material over the hook eye.

p12.gif c-f_threader.jpg

They have one problem, the wire is very thin and gets bent easily. If you use them with a C&F Threader box, they are much better protected. I've tried some DIY threader holders, but they don't work nearly as well.
    Last edited by Bruce Norikane; 12-01-2016 at 05:10 PM.

One more vote for the Bend knot tied with Hemostats. I switched to this for everything but loop knots about three years ago and I cant't tell you the amount of grief and animosity it has saved me. I can honestly say I have never lost a fish because of knot failure since making the switch. For loop knots the Davey is the way to go and for blood knots/surgeons Orvis has a great tutorial on how to tie a joining knot with Hemos as simple as this one.

When the Eugene bend cinches down you feel it pop when it turns over and you can feel confident is is fully tight at that point.

old eyes make getting the tippet into the fly a pain but with hemos no need to make knots a big deal.

Bikebum

+ Reply to Thread