+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How did I miss this dubbing technique?

Blog Entries

Yes OK, in fact, I sort of expected him to use the touch dubbing technique Gary Lafontaine used, but he didn't. He actually applied the dubbing by "rubbing" it on the thread. That did surprise me. I expected to see the touch dubbing method since he was subsequently going to twist a dubbing loop.

A twisted loop method was Polly Rosborough's method. Much more difficult and time-consuming than my rope-dub method.

Blog Entries

Interesting. I got out my 1995 copy of Dave's "Wet Flies" book. In it, he gives directions on the method he proposed using. Basically, he says to wax the thread up pretty good; prepare a "skein" of tapered material and lay it against the greased thread. He says you may slightly twist each end of the fur onto the thread "just enough to fix it".

So, basically, in his book at least, he is simply laying a tapered "skein" of fur against the pretty heavily waxed thread to have it adhere to the thread and then form a loop with the working thread at the rear of the fly and then twist the formed loop.

This seems a bit different than the video....

i think the difference is in how sparse or heavy he wants the body... the fly in the video has a fairly sparse body

Blog Entries

Here are instructions for this method of tying a dubbing looped body from his 1995 book. It is basically a way to replicate the old method of using a block to make dubbing ropes and doing it "on the fly" while tying a fly. It could be done sparse or heavy. It is the technique of attaching the material to the single strand of thread before involving the second strand by forming a loop AFTER the fur is played upon the single thread strand.

As far as the answer to Byron's question, 100% rope dubbing, all materials, size 28 through 19/0, in seconds, not minutes.

Blog Entries

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where, or if, the old Hidy style dubbing noodle blocks can still be purchased. Please, not interested in how I could easily make one. Wanting to know if they are sold. Not the new wire brush type either.
    Thanks
    Byron

Byron, Detteflies.com and Williamsfavorite.com have the blocks for sale.

Gene

Blog Entries

Thanks Gene. Will look into it!

Blog Entries

Am tying some Flymps using Dave Hughes' dubbing method (at least the one he showed in his video). But, I am using two colors of dubbing in the "loop". A bit darker for the thorax area.

+ Reply to Thread