+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: striping rubber legs

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    Whatfly, do you mean to just make small bands with the legs stretched out? The way I did it that I've forgotten was to make a longitudinal mark, I think.
    Herefishy: When I have done it, I just leave the legs together in the band, put one end of the band in a clipboard, stretch a bit with the other end in a clip, and then run the marker perpendicular to the material, creating a barred effect. One could insure a bit of consistency by setting a marking so you know exactly how much to stretch the material methodically, and then use a ruler for more consistent barring, but I never bothered.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did this for a time and then just ended up buying the barred legs, because it just was not worth my time. I much prefer the alternatives, silicone legs such as Sili Legs or bass skirt material, or Superfloss, both of which provide dramatically more movement in the water. I use rubber legs pretty infrequently these days.

Here is the link to the YT video referenced by Jayatwork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT-sMgqZoDI
    iaflyfisher

Problem is, I am not near a fly shop, and can't bear to pay 3.50 shipping for a 1.50 item. However, I do have some sili legs, and intend to try them, too.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    Problem is, I am not near a fly shop, and can't bear to pay 3.50 shipping for a 1.50 item. However, I do have some sili legs, and intend to try them, too.
    I buy a lot of my supplies from Blue Quill Angler. They've got a good selection of materials, quick delivery and free shipping on purchase totals over $5.00.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I buy a lot of my supplies from Blue Quill Angler. They've got a good selection of materials, quick delivery and free shipping on purchase totals over $5.00.

Regards,
    Scott
    Even though the Blue Quill Angler is only about 40 minutes drive from my house, I buy quite a bit from them by mail as well. The free shipping is a bonus, especially when ordering small quantities.

Ted

Agreed. Blue Quill Angler is a darn good shop, both as a brick-and-mortar operation, and a web store.

+ Reply to Thread