+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School me

Default School me

I have been fishing since a very small child. I have been holding off fly fishing, frankly because I knew nothing about it. After finding out about my parents' expertise, I knew I must have a fly rod! I too knew I was meant for the sunsetting waters and the rising trout. As I wrapped my palm around the cork laden handle of my first fly rod today I felt it! Perhaps it was the Castwell spirit, the magic touch, or just a bit of extra hoping that made it so very special. Here now, I am giving you all the chance to school JC's kid. Your best tips only please, we haven't got all day here. I am starting with a SCIENTIFIC ANGLERS Trout 5 wt. Ready*** Go
    Grace comes by art, and art does not come easy

Lightbulb For openers ...

... happy birthday, Angie.

Back somewhere in the Reader's Cast archives is an article titled "Three Teas For Trout."

The three teas are timing, tackle, and technique, otherwise stated as -

Fish where they is, not where they ain't.

Feed them off their menu, not yours.

Serve them off a silver platter, not a TV tray.

I elaborated on each of those points in the article. If you want detais, look up the article and, hopefully, enjoy it. But my signature is really my best tip. As I recall, there are a couple comments about that also.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks man, that was a great article!

Listen carefully to what the members here have to say and you'll do well! You are about to enter into a new world, enjoy it! It may sometimes be confusing as some fish moving water, some fish still water, some fish salt water, etc. But you can learn something from each of them.

You don't need a degree in Physics to be able to handle a fly rod. Keep it simple and you will enjoy it forever.

George

Blog Entries

Missdavidson,

Learning how to cast properly is one of the most important parts of fly fishing. Very important. I was going to suggest you go to your local fly shop but I suspect there are not many of them around Lewistown, MT. So, next best bet is to go to You Tube and look up some videos regarding learning how to cast. Watch them, practice them and learn your timing. Once you have gotten to where you can cast 35 to 40 feet without 'wind knots' and big messes, then you will be ready for some actual fishing. Get out there and enjoy the fun.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Thanks Guys!

Here's something I had written up on my blog to help some of the guys in a fishing club that were interested in learning to flyfish. You may or may not find it helpful:
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2015/0...y-casting.html
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

The biggest problem I see with self taught beginners when I meet them on the river is that they don't take care of their leaders. If your nine foot leader is down to seven and a half feet it is time to add more tippet. If it's down to five feet just replace it. Using the shortened leader means you have a heavy tippet to fly ratio and will almost certainly have a lot of drag. On a related note practice the double surgeons knot at home until you can tier it easily and have confidence in it.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

A couple of years back I went up to SE Tennessee to visit and fish with Jack and Warren. Both were excellent hosts and guides, but Warren said something that stuck with me, after catching a few of his fish he said "I knew you were going to catch fish, you mend your line." That is a little practice I picked up from reading and videos, it's a must for a natural drift of a wet fly or nymph. Develop the habit of mending your line.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread