+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nymph Question

Default Nymph Question

I live in Florida, so nymph fishing isn't something that a lot of fly fishers here do. Typically, anglers here head to their favorite lake, pond or stream and cast popping bugs. When the fish quite hitting on top, it's time to go.

I was no different than any of them until about 10 years ago when I started fishing No. 10 and No. 12 bead-head nymphs under a strike indicator. My catches went up significantly. I catch a variety of fish, including big bluegill, speckled perch, shellcracker, stumpknocker, largemouth bass, channel catfish and tilapia. I even caught a small snook on a nymph while fishing the Manatee River a couple of years ago.

How many of you fish nymphs in warm water? What nymphs do you like? Any techniques you'd are to share?

Steve

I fish bead heads a lot but never use a strike indicator. I don't think the pattern matters much.

I've gotten so I fish subsurface 99% of the time in warmwater. Typically, I fish black mohair yarn leech patterns, bead-head nymphs, cap spiders and this year I've added mop flies. Topwater is loads of fun, but I catch WAY more fish and larger fish fishing subsurface. I saw your earlier posting showing the nice fish you caught on the bead-head nymph pattern. I strongly urge you to try all black mohair yarn leech patterns with a red plastic bead head and black rabbit fur for a tail. Put a few wrap of lead-free wire inder the mohair yarn to get it to sink a bit faster in deeper water.

Briminators, PTNs or variants, scuds, Drowned Mosquito soft hackles, etc. Usually fished under a Gurgle-Pop or foam hopper.

Here in Argentina we also have small warmwater fish. And as you, I use nymphs for them and the results are great. Weighted or not, with SI or without it. My favorite (fish agree with me) is a Prince Nymph tied on a curved scud hook. I don't need another one to tempt all of them.Chancha.jpg
    Last edited by Rocketfish; 03-21-2016 at 12:46 PM.

For my local waters, a 1/80 oz chartreuse microjig (a.k.a. Springbrook Wunder) under an indicator catches the bulk of my fish these days. It takes Largemouth Bass, White Crappie, Black Crappie, Bluegill, Green Sunfish, Redear Sunfish, Pumpkinseed Sunfish, Hybrid Sunfish, Channel Catfish, Common Carp. And I've caught trout on gold versions.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    For my local waters, a 1/80 oz chartreuse microjig (a.k.a. Springbrook Wunder) under an indicator catches the bulk of my fish these days. It takes Largemouth Bass, White Crappie, Black Crappie, Bluegill, Green Sunfish, Redear Sunfish, Pumpkinseed Sunfish, Hybrid Sunfish, Channel Catfish, Common Carp. And I've caught trout on gold versions.
    I do a white and chartreuse 1/80th microjig. Like yours, the one I do catches just about everything!

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    I strongly urge you to try all black mohair yarn leech patterns with a red plastic bead head and black rabbit fur for a tail.
    Based on your recommendation, James, I tried one during my lunch hour. I caught a crappie, several bluegills, and a really nice 9"+ Hybrid Sunfish on it. Lost another good fish on it as well.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread