+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: social media taking the place of our forums?

And what about the elephant in the room ?

Mark

Yes, that's what I wonder. We better start making better use of our forum before the spammers find out how much fun we're having.

Blog Entries

Still trying to figure out how tweeting 144 characters only to those "following" you would constitute something which might threaten the use of forums..........??
    Help me out here, please.

As to my comment/post, never mind.

Mark

I think that there are so many other ways for people to get there fly fishing fixes that forums are becoming less used. Maybe it's not just social media but that certainly plays a part. You tube, blogs, online magazines, etc are just a few other ways.
    Some forums seem to have someone or a group of people that seem to want to argue about every little thing. I notice that on a lot of fly fishing forums... Makes those other forms of fly fishing fixes more desirable.

I've no idea, Byron, just repeating what I was told. Have you noticed there is not quite as much activity here on our favorite forum? Not saying people are spending their time elsewhere, but let's not forget what a great place this is to be.

Yes, I've noticed. Jim
    Last edited by jimsnarocks; 10-19-2015 at 05:08 AM.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    I've no idea, Byron, just repeating what I was told. Have you noticed there is not quite as much activity here on our favorite forum? Not saying people are spending their time elsewhere, but let's not forget what a great place this is to be.
    Yes, I have. My guess is that folks are out fishing and doing other things. I suspect it will pick up once winter sets in for most people.
    I doubt it is due to Twitter and Facebook.

It's sort of funny, though........forums, like this wonderful one, are part of the reason, I suspect, that fishing/tying magazines are struggling.

It's hard to predict what will happen in the future as new technologies are developed and become commonplace.....

Most forums have seen a decrease in traffic and this will most likely continue. It is an industry wide trend.

I believe the cause is that through the internet there is now, different media platforms, more entertainment options and the use of mobile devices to access the internet. Within the last year or so internet access by mobile devices has surpassed access by personal computers.

Forums being more texted based then mobile applications are not as popular as they once were. Forums are more accessible by personal computers, but the usage of personal computers is decreasing as a percentage of internet usage.

Compared to a decade ago, the consumer now has many more internet entertainment options; streaming media for example. Which draws traffic away from the more traditional forums

Cheers!

Bryon, I gave up of magazines because they rarely put in anything in for warmwater fly fishing. When there was something it was for bass or pike most of the time.
    That is why web sites are getting more attention from me. Folk, like you, put on patterns that can be adapted to my fishing.
    There are several fly fishing groups on Facebook. I think many younger folks are more comfortable on Facebook that on forums.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread