+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whiting 100s?

Default Whiting 100s?

Hi.
    I recently purchased a pack of Whiting 100s dark brown #12. The barbs look scraggly, half of the barbs on each feather are splayed out halfway up the quill, and some of the feathers themselves are twisted. Also they don't seem to measure to be size #12 on a hackle gauge. Has anyone else experiences anything like this? Thanks

Blog Entries

Nope, those that I have purchased and looked at all were in decent shape. Someone could have been messing with the feathers either in the package or out of the package for the splayed look but #12's should measure out properly unless someone switched them, but then why would they? If you bought them from a shop or store, take them back for them to inspect.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Usually there is a small section, maybe 3/4", near the base of each feather that has the barbs spread out. Never halfway up the feather. The 100 packs that I have purchased have been correctly sized within a reasonable tolerance.

I've never bought them personalty, but have examined them debating countless times. I would imagine that any material packaged could become damaged. Not to mention folks who remove them to look at and put them back in poorly. i have seen the latter happen with necks a number of times. I would contact the store you bought them from.

Steam them and they should jump back.

Quote Originally Posted by riverdep View Post
    Hi.
    I recently purchased a pack of Whiting 100s dark brown #12. The barbs look scraggly, half of the barbs on each feather are splayed out halfway up the quill, and some of the feathers themselves are twisted. Also they don't seem to measure to be size #12 on a hackle gauge. Has anyone else experiences anything like this? Thanks
    I bet they are 14's.........
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Thanks everyone for the input. I will check to see if they actually are 14s. Appreciate the response.

Like Jayatwork said, the ones I've purchased had some of barbs splayed out near the base (to give the tyer an idea how wide they are?), and they haven't always been true to advertised size (still useful, though), but never with twisted stems. I'd definitely contact the vendor.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Quote Originally Posted by riverdep View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input. I will check to see if they actually are 14s. Appreciate the response.
    What size are they??????
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread