+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Backcountry or drive up and fish?

Question Backcountry or drive up and fish?

Do you prefer to hike to a far off backcountry stream and fish? Or do you prefer to drive up to a trout stream and fish? And at least for me at the moment, would you take a 10 year old into the backcountry? My son is really wanting to go and I really want to take him. But I'm nervous that it'll be more than either of us has bargained for. What is your opinion?

hNt

Ps. I'm really leaning towards a backcountry day trip with a little fishing.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I've taken my daughters and son on backcountry trips both hunting and fishing 10-12yrs old.. Just focus on the whole adventure, and don't fish their butt into exhaustion. Its about them.

I don't know either you and what y'all are up for physically, but I would err on the side of caution and make sure that the trip out is downhill/downstream. Later trips can be more involved but keep the first one fairly easy and build up for the real wilderness adventures. Besides, those trophy, sub-inch creek chubs can often be found close to roads...

Regards,
    Ed

Blog Entries

a mile or two into the back country will take you away from most people, start close and then as he ages go further
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I agree with eric and ed, keep it relatively close the first time out. A mile or so should get you away from most. You'll be their guide more than a fishing partner the first couple of times.
    Have fun. I remember with fond memories, taking my two sons out when they were that age. True to form, they had two different styles. One would work a hole or run forever while the other liked to burn water. Checking on both was an experience.

Steve
    it's all good drifts

When I did my hitch in the military all those many years back, and they found I was such a genus that I was a made a grunt in a rifle company (infantry); and I toted everything I practically owned on my back. Since those days I have never considered "backpacking" ~ oh, I'll tote in some gear a mile off the road (maybe), but that's about it. My favorite thing by far is a canoe trip .... the canoe carries all that gear so much better.

For a child, as long as you're far enough in that you can no longer hear cars....You may as well be in the hinterlands. No need to go far.

Bit of a walk to get here, usually worth it (just give the animals a wide berth); fish it where it bends closer to the road and you'll have lots of company.

As for kids in the wilderness, we started ours hiking in Glacier when they were 9 and 11; took them 4-6 miles early on and they loved it.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Each of my kids got to go on an overnight pack trip when each of them reach 8 years. Three trips to Little Sandy Lake a 1 and 1/2 mile hike in. They all remember it fondly. It is really a choice I would put to them.
    Wyo-Blizzard

+ Reply to Thread