+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dubbing thanks guys

Red face Dubbing thanks guys

I started a different thread from my other one, "I hate dubbing" so you guys would be sure to see it. After making myself sit down and just dub for a while, I started to get the hang of it. Special thanks to RickZ your idea helped alot.

It's funny that the things in life we really want to do, just take practice, but we hunt for shortcuts. Is that human nature, or is it just me being lazy? That could get pretty philosophical, and very deep for me. So I'll leave that discussion and go practice dubbing flies.

thanks again,
    hNt

PS still pretty amazing what a couple of hours practice can do!
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

The idea comes from Don Ordes. Off of his rope dubbing CD. I think it is worth the money. Fantasy Flies.

Rick

Now if you will get you a big ole biscuit and a pint of sorghum it will help develop a texture useful in dubbing.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Now if you will get you a big ole biscuit and a pint of sorghum it will help develop a texture useful in dubbing.
    I prefer honey though lol
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Great! See my response in the first thread:

hNt, a few more pointers to dubbing to get you going?
    The first one is that it is important what you're dubbing onto. If the body is full of humps&bumps and it takes dubbing to even them out, it becomes difficult. Make your body as even and smooth as possible. That enables you to use only a tiny amount of dubbing. I don't use wax. Take a little dubbing, just a whiff, and pinch it on to the thread, close to the body of the fly, and twist the thread clockwise. Make a turn with the dubbed thread until the dubbing catches between the body and the thread. Next you pull the bobbin to tighten the thread and you twist the dubbing (not the thread, just the dubbing) around the thread, clockwise direction only. Then you can dub the body, making close wraps, pausing to twist the dubbing around the thread once more where necessary.
    The white Wulff below is dubbed on to a smooth body and I used so little dubbing that you can actually see the grey thread shining through. Give it a try, it's easier done than described

Nice auld Martin, thanks for the tips

+ Reply to Thread