+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balanced Flies

Default Balanced Flies

Anyone have experience with balanced flies?
    Are they a significant advance?
    Favorite patterns?

Have not tried them yet but, Phil says they are an advantage in stillwater fishing...

http://www.flycraftangling.com/index.asp?p=134

P
    T/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Look like a hairy version of the ice-fishing jigs I used back in the 70's. Guess they're meant for stillwater fishing under a bobber? Probably be killers.

Regards,
    Scott

i just tie the fly on a jig hook so it hangs horizontally in the water. The 60 degree jig hooks that are all the rage don't hang horizontal( balance) unless tied with bead on an extension. Does it make a difference? I think it does, sometimes. I mostly tie and fish leech (minnow) patterns with this method. I have tied a few stone fly nymphs but have not had the chance to test them.

Use a regular jig head and pull the line tight to the eye parallel to the shank of the hook, it will suspend more or less level.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

They do work well under an indicator. A little chop helps give them some movement. They are another tool in my stillwater box.

Patterns are the same as standard ties (Wooly Buggers, leeches, etc.) and while they are fun to play with, not really any better than just putting a slotted bead on a jig hook in choppy conditions. While aesthetically pleasing, no more or less effective than standard ties in my experience, although in calm waters it does at least maintain the right profile.

I'm a believer in balanced flies -- especially damsels. Did a write up last year and a tutorial for my go-to damsel pattern: http://www.flyfishfood.com/2014/05/b...amsel-fly.html

I think they have a much more realistic motion and orientation in the water -- especially with a light chop. I use them with a slip indicator about 90% of the time, just FYI. This damsel has proven a definite notch above other's I've used in recent memory.

Good to hear from you Curtis...just so happens I tied up a couple of damsels yesterday based on your Belly Flop...still a work in progress I must say. This gives me a chance to as some questions.
    Are you convinced your simpler dubbing mix is as good as Jeff Brooks? Also some where I saw where he indicated the purple he adds is important...not so?
    Have you run into any problems with the Allen hooks not being heavy enough. Phil Rowley uses the 2x heavy Mustad.

This topic got my attention, especially the damsel nymph. Has anyone tried using painted bead chain for eyes instead of the melted mono to add a little weight?

Is there really any difference in a damsel and dragon fly nymph?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread