+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Float Tube

1. Default

I do alot of float tubing. Over the years I've also owned quite a few tubes and most of my friends have tried several. Everyone of them had vinyl bladders, and to date the only leak I've seen in any of them was not the vinyl it was the valve leaking. I fish in pretty extreme conditions in my tube... super hot in summer and I break ice to get out when I can in winter so I think my tubes get tested. Almost anything made by Caddis has been good to me... and if I was still in a tube, I'd use a Navigator by choice. I now use a pontoon, but I was really liking my Navigator before I switched.

I've owned a one of creek companys tubes and got to fish one of their pontoons for a while as well. No complaints there and alot of their stuff comes with lifetime warranties. Currently, I use a fishcat9 pontoon. I actually prefer a tube, but I really needed a motor for some of the lakes I fished so I moved to the pontoon. I like it better than the odc pontoon and I've used it quite a bit and it's quality stuff.

If you have any specific tubes in mind post it and if I've seen it I'll let you know.

Also, consider your size when purchasing a tube. I'm a decent sized guy at 6ft 215 and I love that Navigator, but my 5'10" 150 lb friend absolutely hates it. He sits so high out of the water that the wind pushes him around and he's in a terrible position to get a good kicking stroke. When I'm in it my weight makes it dig in just right and it performs well. Ballpark, I'd look for something around 75 - 100lbs over your weight. I also firmly believe in multi bladder tubes. I would never go out without a pdf but I consider it almost as important..

One last thought... alot of companies advertise about getting you high out of the water. In my experience, the higher out of the water I am, the more uncomfortable I am. One of the greatest benefits of the tubes is the fact the water supports your weight. Dress appropriately, and I can't think of a more comfortable way to fish. I've dozed off numerous times in the tube over the years, but never once fell asleep fishing any other way... If you really do need more distance then get a longer rod.

I may have been lucky, but I really haven't had any bad luck on tubes. For the most part any decent name brand should be adequate and buy from a company with a good return policy. I tried several tubes originally until I found the one I liked.

All of this is for U boats, I've never tried a circle tube so I can't really comment on 'em. I've seen plenty in use, some in bad conditions and I don't really consider the safety as a factor of not wanting one... they just don't appear to maneuver well and seem cumbersome.

That should be plenty to chew on...

Later,
    Jambalaya

I reecommend you DO NOT buy the Caddis Navigator II -- it was a real pain to inflate and assemble properly with the 4 bladders! I tried it, and returned it to Cabela's for an Outcast Fish Cat 4. The Fish Cat or Fat Cats are the only way to go. Made real well; easy to carry with shoulder straps (and I have a metal hip); float great; easy to push with the pointed end; float high in tha water; can be inflated by mouth (but a $20 2-way pump is a good investment). Get an Outcast!

Do not forget a Good PFD. For a number of years I just attached a regular life vest to my tube. A couple of years ago I bought a Sterns Co2 inflatable and ware it whenever I am on the water. Some states require a PFD Montana does not to bad though we have had a couple of folks drowned tubing.

Re: Multiple bladders....my U-tube (Caddis) has three bladders - the big U and two smaller ones stacked on top of each other used for back support.

As far as comfort goes, I have a 9' TU Classic Accessories 'toon. Can't beat the comfort in really cold mountain water 'cause the only thing in the water are my legs from below the knees on down.

But, as far as ease of use, safety, portability, and yes, inflatablity, I'd go with the Caddis U tube any day. I can infate the tube with a hand pump in about 5 minutes or with one of those 12V electric pumps in about 10 minutes. I usually use the electric and get the rest of my gear in order, rod strung up, etc. while it's inflating.

Overdubbed, let us know what your final decision is and tell us the results after you get out on the water.

Don't forget fin tethers.....I know several people who have lost a fin, either in the water or in the mud.

------------------
    Snow on the roof with fire in the hearth

I've got both a Fishcat and a Caddis. I like them both but I like the Fishcat the best. It cost me more than the Caddis. I really like the inflatable seat in the Fishcat. It puts you up higher out of the water making casting easier and I've not noticed any appreciable wind drift. Do not buy a tube that has only one air bladder like some of the old round innertube models because if it bursts, that's the only floatation you've got unless you're wearing a PFD. My Fishcat, if I remember correctly, has separate pontoons, a separate inflatable back rest, an inflatable seat and I think an inflatable head rest so, unless someone shoots me with a shotgun I should stay afloat even if one of the pontoons bursts.

I have to agree with Robert and Bluegill regarding the Fishcat. I sell a lot of them and everyone has been real pleased with them. I alos use one my self and it is extremely comfortable and stable.

I also have to agree with everyone regarding the PFD. They may be a little cumbersome or hot at times, but they will save your life. There are lot of states that require the use of a PFD when in a float tube or pontoon boat.

If you should choose a Fat Cat, let me know. I can usually beat most everyone's prices.

------------------
    "My fondest memories and friends will be forever bound to my heart, with the waters I have fished." D.G. 1992

www.wolfmountainfly.com

I bought the Caddis "High Sierra" round float tube many years ago and it has served me well. It cost less than 70 dollars and is very well made. In spite of the inexpensive cost, nothing about this tube is "cheap". Quality materials assembled well. Yes, it is the round variety, and yes it has a tire tube instead of a bladder, but should you have a leak, you can get a replacment just about anywhere (21" truck tire tube) as opposed to ordering a replacement bladder at what is often more than twice the cost. It does have a secondary pvc bladder as a back rest. I have not found the tube to be heavy at all. I've never weighed it, but I would describe it as light, and no trouble to carry into remote locations. I also agree that the lower profile tubes make you less prone to being blown around by the wind, and it IS windy here on Cape Cod. I think the weight capacity on the High Sierra is around 250 or 300 lbs., but don't quote me on that. Good luck and tight lines! Alec

8. Default

I just wanted to add a bit to bluegill's assessment of the Caddis Navigator and I must say that at first I had a hard time aligning everything properly with the navigator as bluegill said, BUT the kicker is, as long as your halfway careful deflating it, it pretty much never has to be done again. I use an electric pump to deflate as well as inflate and tubes are so much easier to pack and stow when properly deflated. That goes for any tube. The only fishcat I've owned is my pontoon boat and I will say the craftsmanship on it is better than most of the Caddis stuff I've used, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a higher degree of quality in their tubes as well.

The only real difference is price in the end and what you wish to spend. I will say this, if you go with the Navigator and take the extra 15 minutes to align everything nicely, you won't be dissappointed. I stand by what I said earlier, it was the best tube I had used until I went to the pontoon. One thing to add though, I've had zipper problems on two of the caddis products in the past, though the company I bought from quickly remedied the problem both times at no cost to me.

The very first time I float tubed a ranger asked me why I didn't have a pdf with me that day and pretty much it just didn't occur to me. Stupid ... stupid ... stupid. That one lapse could've cost me. That was years back and I still feel dumb for doing it. He also informed me that it wasn't law, but it was a good idea... I couldn't of agreed more. I've never been out without one again, nor will I.

Jambalaya

I'd very highly recommend the V-shaped float tube. I have two of IMHO the very best: Outcast Super Fat Cat (SFC) & Wood River Stealthrider. Of the two I personally prefer the SFC.

IMHO the advantages of the V-shaped boats are the cut through the water faster and easier even in choppy waters. They are easier and safer to get into and out of the water. They are also made better and built to last longer.

As for the SFC the additional advantages are you sit higher out of the water which allows greater vision for both yourself and others. This enables you to stay warmer, drier and fish longer. It also has a Urthane bladder which is the best. The 600-denier PVC bottom resists snags, sharp rocks and everyday wear and tear. The newer SFC has the added advantage of an inflatable seat and backrest that make this float tube more compact for storage and transport. I have the older styrofoam seat and back on mine.

Just my $0.02 worth. Good-luck!

I have a 1000 denier Woods River Stealthrider and really like it but now that the SFC comes with inflatable seat and back I would probably go with it if I was to change.

+ Reply to Thread