+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question re: using dubbing rake and how to collect hair

Default question re: using dubbing rake and how to collect hair

Hi Everyone,
    hope you all are enjoying the summer. Having been inspired by the Dr Korn video on custom dubbing, I want to use fur from a hare's mask to add some spikiness to some dubbing. I have not worked with a dubbing rake before and What I need to find out is how to collect the small fur fibers and get them into the grinder/blender bowl. I keep having visions of being beset by one of my sneezing fits from allergies to the rabbit fur and blowing all the small fibers all over the place with minimum fur actually making it into the dubbing mix. I have given some thought to wearing a face mask while preparing the fur mix but that still isn't going to help me collect the small fibers of fur. Hope somebody has a few hints on accomplishing this task. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Gerri

Blog Entries

Geri,
    Unless you are trying to separate fur from guard hairs, why not just use a pair of scissors and cut the fur/hair off in clumps tight against the skin?

As Byron suggested, you could use a battery operated beard trimmer and just cut the underfur which also contains the guard hairs off the hide into the coffee bean grinder and you will be good to go.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

AlanB Guest

A particle mask while you do the job may be one answer. If you are mixing in a food blender (DO NOT try this in a coffee grinder) you could wet the hare's ears before stripping the hair. That may keep the particles together, and help your allergies. When mixing in a food blender the dubbing is mixed in water, then dried after. Make sure the dubbing is completely dry before putting it into your storage container. You may still need the mask for that step.

When mixing dubbing mix a lot (large batches). Label the batch. Proportion the recipe in % 50% this 25% that 25% t'other. Then you will be able to easily make fresh batches. Bead organising boxes make good boxes to store your mixes in.

Hope there is some help there,
    Cheers,
    A.
    Last edited by AlanB; 07-16-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Grammer. A little knowlege is a dangerous thing!

It is also possible to use this method to mix hare's ear dubbing without a blender:

http://vimeo.com/10793808

I
    f there is an opportunity,check out Allen McGee's Tying and Fishing Soft-Hackled Nymphs:

http://www.amazon.com/Tying-Fishing-Soft-Hackled-Nymphs-Allen/dp/1571884033

I
    n his book, pg. 22, he describes five areas on the face of a Hare's Mask that provide fur of differing consistency and coloration...and the suggested use for each...

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 07-16-2014 at 02:16 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

For spiky use a scissors for just under fur use a fur rake.

Second the recommendation of Allen McGee's Tying and Fishing Soft-Hackled Nymphs. An excellent book and not just a simple 'pattern' book. McGee covers many useful tying techniques.

+ Reply to Thread