+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sensitivity

I fish mostly in lakes for trout and bass.

Sensitivity is critical to my fishing.

I'm sure that the vast majority of modern graphite rods are amazingly sensitive. Whether or not you 'feel' the take through the line or the rod would have a few variables; line angle to the tip, density of the line, depth of the line in the water, current, etc.

The important thing is that you do feel or somehow perceive the take. If you aren't feeling anything until the line is pulled strongly, you are likely missing LOTS of fish.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy,

I tried to send you a PM, but, your PM box is full.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I am the first to admit after coming back to trout fishing last couple of years my "feel" is not what it used to be. I do think the majority of good anglers who spend enough time on the water develop instincts that will have them striking a fish when there was nothing to tell them that they had a take. I know I often set the hook just on instinct.

As for gauging the feel of the rod try this. As you drift only touch the line to take up when necessary. Other than that, let the line drop free of the rod and see if you can't feel a take thru the rod without contact with the line. I stress again, when you spend enough time you will not have to "feel" a take in the sense you wait for it to happen before you strike. It will become an ingrained action without conscious thought. All good fisherman develop this instinct even if they don't realize they have.

Quote Originally Posted by newbee View Post
    It seem to me that more sensing of the strike was felt in the line than in the rod.
    WayneC
    Unless you're stripping streamers or wets on a tight line, if you're waiting to feel the strike, you're missing 80+ percent of them. You should be *watching* the fly (dry), indicator or line/leader to *see* strikes.

This is the first time I ever remember wanting to go study!!!! And yes, I'm afraid I did have the grades to back that claim up! LOL

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Warren,

It shouldn't have been full, but I cleaned it out anyway.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

this, like so many other ways, shows a major difference in fly fishing versus other types of fishing. With modern graphite rods and zero-stretch superlines on spinning and casting outfits, it is entirely possible for an observant fisherman to FEEL when a fish rushes a lure and turns away at the last instant, even a long cast away. I can feel the difference when a jig touches a bare rock or a moss-covered rock.

With fly tackle, the inherent stretch of the fly line, large diameter of the line with plastic coating, action of the rod, stretch of the leader, and many other factors combine to decrease your tactile feel (sensitivity) of what is going on at the fly.

Yes, we have all felt the jolt of a fish hitting a wet fly, streamer, or nymph from time to time, but as others have pointed out if you are waiting to FEEL a take on fly tackle, you are missing a lot of fish. I'm not a fly-only purist, so the contrast is very very evident to me.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

+ Reply to Thread