+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: kershaw knives

I had a knife found in my pocket at the San Diego airport a couple of years ago. They had one of these mailing services to take care of "confiscated" items, so I used it. As I remember, it cost over $10 for the service, which was not very different from the cost of the knife. Since then, I have found that I can buy the small Swiss Army pen knives on *bay in lots of 5 for about $2 each. I bought a bunch of them and sprinkled them among my fishing vests and bags. If I lose one at an airport now, I just don't worry about it. I think these *ebay sellers get their knives from the TSA, so this is a good way of recycling them.

Ted

I really want to carry a "real" knife, but after years of my my little Swiss army I can't live without that toothpick!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Quote Originally Posted by Prairieschooner View Post
    I really want to carry a "real" knife, but after years of my my little Swiss army I can't live without that toothpick!
    Carry both, I had a small Swiss army on my keychain until 2001 and small 3 blade Case in my right pocket. Check the Smoky Mountain Knife website, the Frost brand knives are one of the better buys for the buck. Good quality steel at a good price.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Always carry have for years , my Dad carried also he used his knives up by keepin them razor sharp. If you ask to use his knife would be razor sharp. He taught me about knife care. I became a scissor sharpener for hair salons 30 years ago so when I started sharpening for a living Dad would always ask me to sharpen his knife. He has been gone for several years now but it is a connection I still have with him. I own many knives never saw a knife I didn't like . But Benchmade fan and older Case 3blades and whittlers .

I'm a carrier also, have been since high school in the sixties. Carry a 2 1/2 in. Old Timer. Have several smaller ones but this one has the heft that feels right! As a retired wood shop teacher I'd never be without one. My last year teaching I pulled it out of my pocket to trim a broken fingernail, while doing lunch duty. My (younger) principal noticed it and was beside himself that I had a knife in school. What's this world coming to? Ron

Quote Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
    I own many knives never saw a knife I didn't like ....
    I also have a fondest for knives and I have a question for you. I know from having couple of Parker-Frost knives the Japanese steel is very good, but I have yet to find a blade stamped with China, Pakistan or India with a good quality steel that will hold an edge. What is your experience along these lines?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rgregorchik View Post
    I'm a carrier also, have been since high school in the sixties. Carry a 2 1/2 in. Old Timer. Have several smaller ones but this one has the heft that feels right! As a retired wood shop teacher I'd never be without one. My last year teaching I pulled it out of my pocket to trim a broken fingernail, while doing lunch duty. My (younger) principal noticed it and was beside himself that I had a knife in school. What's this world coming to? Ron

Reminds me of when I was a school boy, maybe around the 5th/6th grade, when it was the "thing" for a boy to have a jack-knife, and all the more gizmos it had on it the better. Mine had a can opener, bottle opener, screw driver, leather punch and I can't remember what else. Right after WWII ended, when leather shoes were no longer rationed, boy's leather high tops came (back) into vogue, and I remember my first pair had a real nifty side leather pocket just made to carry that jack knife. Now I have no idea what percentage of boys at that time had jack knives, but I'd wager it was the majority. Never heard of a knife fight and about the only time there was a mishap would be from some boy cutting himself with his own knife! I should add that screwing around with the knife during class was a great big NO-NO! In those days one could get himself paddled ... big time.

I was to join the Marine Corps at a young age (17) and was found so technically astute that they made me a grunt. And at that time grunt Marines were issued a KA-Bar and taught how to use them. Let me say that if your going to show up for a knife fight, the KA-Bar would be most excellent to have along.
    Last edited by DaleW; 05-17-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Blog Entries

I graduated highschool in 81, I carried abuck 110 most days without problems. It is amazing how far in the wrong direction wecan go in30 years
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I carry a Buck 510 folding knife everywhere. It's a scaled down model of the classical 110. It has slightly rounded nickel/silver bolsters and makes for a perfect pocket knife. I did a lot of growing up on the farm, and a good pocket knife on the farm is absolutely needed. I feel incomplete without one now. Oh, and I forgot to mention, Buck Knife Headquarters is only about 5 miles from my house.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    Reminds me of when I was a school boy, maybe around the 5th/6th grade, when it was the "thing" for a boy to have a jack-knife, and all the more gizmos it had on it the better. Mine had a can opener, bottle opener, screw driver, leather punch and I can't remember what else. Right after WWII ended, when leather shoes were no longer rationed, boy's leather high tops came (back) into vogue, and I remember my first pair had a real nifty side leather pocket just made to carry that jack knife. Now I have no idea what percentage of boys at that time had jack knives, but I'd wager it was the majority. Never heard of a knife fight and about the only time there was a mishap would be from some boy cutting himself with his own knife! I should add that screwing around with the knife during class was a great big NO-NO! In those days one could get himself paddled ... big time.

I was to join the Marine Corps at a young age (17) and was found so technically astute that they made me a grunt. And at that time grunt Marines were issued a KA-Bar and taught how to use them. Let me say that if your going to show up for a knife fight, the KA-Bar would be most excellent to have along.
    technically astute.Is that what we call it?Semper Fi

+ Reply to Thread