+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water bottle or filter??

I've used a bottle with replaceable filter for about 15 years. I drink out of the trout streams I fish (mostly in MT), except in a few cases where I know of certain contaminants I don't want to deal with, and have never had any issues.

Regards,
    Scott

Jason, I have a fanny pack that holds two 20 oz insulated jugs. I got it several years ago at walMart for about $10. Not hard to wear and has a pocket for more gear. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Zuehlsdorff View Post
    I am looking at a filter in a bottle from a place in Evanston, WY. It runs about $35 which may sound like a lot but it will filter from 50 to 75 gallons I think. It takes out all the bad stuff including geardea (sp?) A lot of the places I fish and hunt have some great springs nearby. This would mean less weight for me to pack around.
    Byron, they might have filters good enough to protect against giardia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardia ) but I am skeptical that they are 100% effective. No, I cannot provide solid evidence to justify my lack of trust. Microbes and small parasites are not the only health threats. Water can also contain various poisons that appear in some streams, ranging from naturally occurring alkalis to mine effluent and agricultural contaminants. Make sure that all of these are also filtered out. That's why I just go with bottled water. Although I have the luxury of seldom fishing more than a couple of miles from my truck and that is a huge luxury. Also remember that contaminants on the outside of containers, or you, can undo all of your best efforts at cleaning the water within. That may well be the cause of anecdotes about giardia from filter bottles.

Take care,
    Ed

Drinking untreated surface water In the lower 48 Is a crap shoot. Filter straws should be confined to emergencies. Filters in bottles should be used for tap water. Any filter you choose should handle bacteria, heavy metal, and particulate contamination. It should also include a viral treatment. A good filter will run above $65 and will need a new cartridge and antiviral every year (even if you don't use it).

I carry an MSR Sweetwater system: http://www.rei.com/product/671111/ms...urifier-system REI carries some "straw" systems but as noted they don't deal with viruses. Any 1 micron filter will handle bacteria and protozoa.

Keeping water cold has been covered by other posts...

Like stated....Walmart bottled water goes a long way. And when done they scrunch up to a tiny weightless ball and go in the vest. For long outings I wear a camelback. That being said....I've drank out of more streams than I can count. Not a water bottles worth....but a few sips from the hand. Enough to keep me going. Never had a problem. I've had more issues from tap water.
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 04-27-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    Look into a Steripen. Expensive, but small enough to throw in a Pocket.
    I have used a Steripen, UV purification system for 5 years to purify river water. No ill effects. It even kills viruses that can go thought traditional water filters.

A physician friend bought one for his daughter who used it in Peru for water purification. 6 months in Peru without any water borne illness. I take mine to Mexico to sterilize my drinking water. In all the years since I bought the very first version of the Steripen, I have never gotten sick from drinking water out of the streams I fish.

I carry an empty Nalgene water bottle and my Steripen and water additives for flavoring and electrolytes. I have upgraded the Steripen below twice and just bought my third version. Make sure you carry a spare set of CR123A batteries.

Outdoor Medicine

UV Portable Water Purifier Systems - SteriPEN

Industry Awards | SteriPEN Blog

See the following reviews

Hiking Poll Results

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SteriPEN Adventurer Opti Handheld UV Water Purifier

Customer Reviews of SteriPEN Traveler Mini Water Purifier

Gear Review: Steripen Adventurer Opti | Backpacker Magazine
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    I've drank out of more streams than I can count. Not a water bottles worth....but a few sips from the hand. Enough to keep me going. Never had a problem. I've had more issues from tap water.
    ...And, I've been sick for a week from a few sips from hand.

I never heard of a steripen. That looks pretty cool. And I'm like warren, I never even thought of a canteen. I do tote out my water bottles. It is a point of pride with me that I can fish and leave and no one ever know I was there. Unless they see my tracks. Of course unfortunately sometimes the fish don't know I was there either I don't like to freeze the bottles cause they always sweat and get everything in my pack wet. And as uncle Jesse said, I'm a big ol boy LOL. I had wondered about the aluminum bottles but I wasn't sure if they would stay cool or not.
    Thanks for the advice,
    hNt

PS it's really nice to get to "talk" to you guys again I've really missed you all. Hopefully now I'm in a better position to try to keep in touch a little better. Thanks again
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I've used a bunch of different filters etc. over the years for back country fishing and hiking. It depends on how much you are willing to carry. I've found the Katadyne Hiker Pro to be probably the lightest and easiest to use. Many times there will be several of us camping/ fishing for several days. the filter will fill a Camel Bak in short order and so far no one has gotten even the slightest bit sick.
    Last year i picked up a Steri Pen. Costco had a combo pack. Water bottle, filter cap, regular cap and steri pen. The only issue I had was that it was slow to fill. Plus it takes a few min. for the pen to work. One of the sales people at REI said that they spent several weeks in countries where the water was suspect even in restaurants. they would just keep the pen in their pocket and stick it in the glass and stir.
    For a short day trip i would usually fill the Camel Bak and maybe have an extra couple of bottles in the truck. Now if the Steri pen would work in the Camel bak we would be set.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Quote Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
    Last year i picked up a Steri Pen. Costco had a combo pack. Water bottle, filter cap, regular cap and steri pen. The only issue I had was that it was slow to fill. Plus it takes a few min. for the pen to work. One of the sales people at REI said that they spent several weeks in countries where the water was suspect even in restaurants. they would just keep the pen in their pocket and stick it in the glass and stir.
    I take my Steripen to Mexico for use in restaurants.

Steripen purifies 1 pt in 60 secs and a quart of water in 90 seconds. No need to use the particulate filter unless the water has a lot of organic debris. On the Madison River, my quart Nalgen bottle fills in 3 seconds and I am drinking water in less that 2 minutes.

I wait that long not to have to carry 4 lbs (2 quarts of water).
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread