+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Economics for Fly Tyers

Congratulations to you! It is just so much better to catch a fish on your own tie.

Warren,

I disagree with several opinions you state in your post, starting with, "The fly tyer who ties flies for themselves does it because it is relaxing and a very enjoyable hobby for them. They do not have to have the "top of the line" material and they cut corners where ever they can." And there are other statements you make with which I disagree.
    However, we're all entitled to our own opinion and that's okay. Disagreements are a part of this sport that often makes it so much fun.

Allan

Allan,

I have no problem with you not agreeing 100% with me because most people don't! : ) I guess what I meant by the statement, " They do not have to have the "top of the line" material and they cut corners where ever they can ", was for the few that purchase a lot of their fly tying material from JoAnn's, Hobbylobby and Wally World. Not saying there is anything wrong with that as long as the tyer is happy and is catching fish with their flies. I guess my main point was that I do not believe anyone who started tying flies and still is, is not still at it because they feel they are saving money. They are still at it because they find it enjoyable and relaxing and a great hobby.

Opinions are great as long as they are flexible and disagreements are great because they sometimes spawn creativity and when it comes to tying flies, creativity is a blessing.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I think that it is possible to save money by tying your own flies if you can stick to tying few patterns that you fish regularly and avoid getting into tying as a separate hobby. Quite a few years ago I taught a young co-worker with major budget problems to tie comparaduns, deer hair caddis and fox squirrel nymphs and soft hackles. I was able to give him some deer hair, a few grouse feathers and yarn to shred and blend for dubbing. He got a banty rooster from a friend for tailing . Adding a road kill squirrel meant he had only to buy hooks, thread and tinsel to tie flies that covered most trout and panfish needs. We haven't worked together for many years but I think if he sticks to those patterns and continued to process his own hair and hackle he is still saving money even if he has to buy some dubbing.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 04-22-2014 at 07:16 PM.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

rainbow,

(you can save money) "if you can stick to tying few patterns that you fish regularly and avoid getting into tying as a separate hobby." Okay, well I guess that's true.
    Fly tying instructor to student: 'I'm going to show you 2 patterns and they are all you'll ever need to learn, the Green Weenie and the Wooly Bugger.'
    30 years later that student says to former instructor: 'Why didn't you tell me that those 2 flies have 10,000 variants?'
    Now I'll make a statement and ask you: As a result of my hobby (obsession) with fly tying, I have in excess of 1-1/2 rooms of materials that have cost $000s. I will never use 1/100th of what I have and could supply at least 100 tyers for life. I wonder how many other tyers (you perhaps?) are roughly in the same boat?
    Oh, I didn't get into fly tying to save money and I really don't know anyone who thought they could.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    rainbow,

Now I'll make a statement and ask you: As a result of my hobby (obsession) with fly tying, I have in excess of 1-1/2 rooms of materials that have cost $000s. I will never use 1/100th of what I have and could supply at least 100 tyers for life. I wonder how many other tyers (you perhaps?) are roughly in the same boat?

Allan
    Hell. Now I'm feelin self righteous.

O.K. I'll help cut the bill for one beginner. A friend just called and offered me some pheasants that he'll bring around late tonight after he's done dog training . These will be young birds and not as fully feathered as older birds so I'll probably just pluck some feathers before skinning them. I'll send the first beginner who has bothered to read this far a tail cluster and a pair of wing tips. They will go to the first one to respond on this thread

rainbow,

Nice gesture. Please make certain that those feathers are absent of any critters before offering them. You wouldn't want some youngster or 'newbee' to find their materials infested with things that move.

Rainbow

I a beginner at tying and would be interested in the feathers.

Actually, they are some I saved from the last time he bought me birds so I've had them for a while. I'll process replacements tomorrow. Beginners should still learn to quarantine all new materials. I've found bugs in fly shop materials too. tjulian, send me a p.m. with your address.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 04-22-2014 at 11:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread