+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: great short video on Mayflies

Blog Entries

I thnk folks are wondering if a traditional dry fly can be on the water surface without its hackle penetrating through the meniscus. And, if so, what dry hackled pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Mick,
    Are you suggesting that you don't use the same entomology designations as in the US?
    I realize that common names vary as they are "common" names.
    And I believe the video was referring to a certain member of the mayfly family, and calling it by a "common" name rather than its specific scientific name.
    No........ I guess that the term Mayfly to you guys is a different generic term for all upwings. Whereas to us it refers to two or three varieties of specific flies.

I also suppose that the types of flies we get here may be different from the ones that hatch on your waters. Having said that I really don't know.............
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

AlanB Guest

Byron, I can name only one. It is generally considered a dry fly, though you may say I am cheating by citing it. The Grey Duster. When tied and presented correctly the hackle remains on the surface, with none of the barbs below the surface. However, this is more an anomaly in classification than anything else.

On the "common classification" of flies here "Mayfly" applies only to E.Vulgata, E. Danica and E. Infrequentis. All other up wing flies are referred to generically as "up wing flies" or "duns" or by common name, Large dark olive, Medium olive Pale morning dun etc. The imprecision of calling all up wing flies mayflies seems to be an American affectation. Yes our insects are very different to those you have, even though we use the same common names for some, they, mostly, are not the same insect.

Cheers,
    A.

Mick,
    Are you suggesting that you don't use the same entomology designations as in the US?
    I realize that common names vary as they are "common" names.
    And I believe the video was referring to a certain member of the mayfly family, and calling it by a "common" name rather than its specific scientific name.
    No, he's saying that in the British Isles, "mayfly" only refers to one species, which is very similar to the Green Drake (Eastern) in this country. The term "upwing" is used to refer to the order that we here in the US call mayflies. A mayfly is an upwing; just a specific one. (There's a reason that entomologists use Latin.)

There's no difference in the scientific classification.
    Bob

The video makes a much stronger case for a sparkle dun style with the trailing shuck in the film v. The Klinkhammer concept. Not that a Klinkhammer doesn't work....it does, but perhaps not as well as a sparkle dun style.
    This just may be true for that species or for just burrowing mayflies. Tough to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    No, he's saying that in the British Isles, "mayfly" only refers to one species, which is very similar to the Green Drake (Eastern) in this country.
    You see those spinners? Bring your Coffin Flies.

I've always felt the European "Mayfly" was the same as the Eastern Green Drake. Judging by the fly in the video, they could have been filming it on the Upper Pine in Central PA. Virtually identical in color ans size.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    Byron, I can name only one. It is generally considered a dry fly, though you may say I am cheating by citing it. The Grey Duster. When tied and presented correctly the hackle remains on the surface, with none of the barbs below the surface. However, this is more an anomaly in classification than anything else.<snip>

Cheers,
    A.
    Alan, I presume that the Grey Duster is not a permissible "dry fly" on the River Wye or some of the other dry fly waters.

On the other hand, with a marabou or soft hair tail, it might be a killer on the Duck River here.

Regards,
    Ed

AlanB Guest

There is only one stretch of the Wye, that owned by Haddon Hall, where it is banned. It is permitted on the rest of the river. I do supply them to the shop in Bakewell, but have to modify the dressing by adding a tail of hackle fibres. Its a really simple fly, just a body of natural grey rabbit dubbed, and a collar hackle of Silver Badger. It may be worth you trying some.

The history of the fly is a mystery. It originated in North Wales, and GEM Skues wrote about it in 1921, so it has been around for a while. Alan Roe, who originally taught me to tie, says of a friend's Grey Dusters that, "They look like half a chicken lashed to a hook, but he does huge damage to trout populations with them."

Cheers,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    This just may be true for that species or for just burrowing mayflies. Tough to tell.
    Woah hahaha burrowing flies?? I think he is mistaking them with rabbits........... A grey duster would be a good imitation there!! Just need them a little bigger.......
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

+ Reply to Thread