+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Folstaf question

Am I the ONLY one who finds my wading staffs streamside? I have two. One is a sturdy dry pine branch I found in Wisconsin and the other is also a pine branch I found in Wyoming. A bit of customizing to each and they've served me for years.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

I have two staffs at this point..Both different in design..both not high dollar..I like them both and I've been eyeing a third, That doubles as a rod tube..But the price of that stick makes the folstaf look most attractive!!...but since I usually find myself mid stream wishing I'd remembered to bring a staff...I think I'll stick to useing exactly that...A Stick most of the time...I'm not all that old...but I do believe my mind is going ahead of me!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I am 5'8"...looks like I can get a super buy on a 59" folstaf....what about it experts? Too long, or ok? Seems to me the extra length MIGHT be somewhat of an advantage. BTW, the staff I'm looking at is the 3/4" diameter.
    Thanks,
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Mike, repeating myself, but trying to help.

Get a broom handle. Mark 59" on it. Grasp it with the top of your hand about 1 inch below the 59" mark, which would place it in roughly the middle of the Folstaff's cork handle.

Use it as a staff while you walk around your back yard. See how it feels to you. If you don't like it, go for the shorter staff.

Mike,
    If it's a really good deal, buy it and learn to love it...haha! Mosey on down to the Clearfork with it and we'll fish and maybe I can find something to trade for it...then I'll have a nifty "deep water" stick..another haha.
    R
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

ohiotuber:

I'm between 5'8" and 5'10" depending on which WANTED poster you look at; in any case I have the 50" Folstaf and the length is PERFECT. At 5'8" you may find the 59" a bit long.

BTW make sure to get the 3/4 diameter.

Marco- I agree that a pine branch can help you out but if you have to depend on your staff I want something I "KNOW" will not crack and break. Lot of use older guy's depend on a staff not breaking.

I am 6' Tall and I like the longer staff. I find that when wading into the stream you will be going down hill most of the time (Into deeper water)and the longer length helps out a lot. Coming out is no big deal with the longer staff but knowing you have that little extra length comes in handy at times. If you are short it will may a difference but if you are from 5'11 or so and taller then I would go with the longer staff. Just me Ron

nighthawk Guest

Hey Marco,
    No, you aren't alone.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

I'm 6' tall, and I don't see how one's height could improve the taste of cheap beer, but Falstaff has got to be the worst beer I've ever had the displeasure of tasting.

------------------
    My New Year's resolution is to have more fun...even if YOU don't.

Silver Mallard...Agreed on the beer!...although while in 'Nam, we sometimes could only get Crown & OB...they are even worse!!

I won the auction!.....I figured, as mentioned by RonMT, that I will basically be wading shallow to deeper, & I figure the 59", (or is it 60"?) will work. I DID hit a drop once (in my 20s) & went "down under" in 40+ degree water...lucky to have come up!..With the 60" staff, I could have felt down that slope & avoided a VERY chilly ride home. I picked up the 60", 3/4" diameter Folstaff, used 3 times for $66.75 (total including shipping). Too good to pass up, & if it's too long, one of my tall FAOL friends will be quite happy. Stay tuned!
    Mike
    ps:I also "solicited" advice from our Grand Poobah & his BETTER half!
    ------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!

[This message has been edited by ohiotuber (edited 04 June 2006).]
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread