+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Folstaf question

Oh Folstaff is not a sponsor...OK I got that through my thick head...!!!...LOL..H&H is still a sponsor here ???

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 03 June 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Just Noticed something...Welcome RonT...as you can see in this thread we Have a member with a strikingly similar Username....I thought all the posts in this thread were his...My bad!...Welcome aboard!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Bill, take a deep breath, relax. H&H is still a sponsor. FOLSTAFF isn't! Did I just defend a company that is not a sponsor (again) ? Yes.

I like the Simm's staff, it folds up like a blind mans walking stick, only it comes with a neophrene holder and a bungee cord so you won't drop & lose it.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Thanks Bill,
    Have been RonT for many years on other boards. BTW, I also had a local Amish harness shop remove the two rivets and add two snaps to my Folstaff belt loop. Makes it a lot easier to put on and off when "crick hopping".
    R

[This message has been edited by RonT (edited 03 June 2006).]
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

Ray, no staff does it all. Some want one that will 'snap' together (bungee). Others want one that will not come apart when pulled on (to pull someone out of the water). Ya can't have it both ways. They can be thinner walled, narrower tubing, inferior quality, less features...

I can't rave enough about my 20+ year old Folstaf. I got mine personally from Joan Stolliar when she and Arthur, her husband used to make them in the basement of their Greenwich Village home.

The best news I got regarding it was a few years back from Lee Stolliar Dufresne, Joan & Arthur's daughter who now runs the company. When I inquired about replacing a missing tip I found out the dang thing had a lifetime warranty!

For a nominal fee I sent it into them and I got back my staff with a new tip, new cork grip and new shock-cord! I was so happy I hand sewed a new leather holster for it.

If you are in the market for a collapsible shock-corded type wading staff that will last a lifetime and safely support just about anybody, spend the extra $$$ and buy the original Folstaf.

You won't regret it!

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 03 June 2006).]

Try the Simms out as well and judge for yourself! It is a great staff and has many features the others don't. My friend has gone through two cheaper models already and wishes he would have paid the extra money to get the Simms.

It is a little pricey, but is it worth not getting dunked in the river or a possible ride down the river? You bet! The retractable cord is really sweet and it folds up neatly and goes in it's neoprene pouch or you can let it swing behind you. It is very sturdy and holds a tremendous amount of weight without felling flimsy at all. Either way I have much more confidence when using it especially in winter. Brrrrrrrrr!

------------------
    "A smart man learns from his mistakes,
    A wise man learns from others"

[This message has been edited by cctyer (edited 03 June 2006).]

I in no way intended to 'knock' any brand. Mostly you get what you pay for. Be sure what features you want. They are not all the same. Cheap seems to break sometimes. There are 1/2 inch ones and 3/4 inch ones. Choose carefully. (Hey,,, if yer a fat guy,,, ?) lol

A friend and I have debated brand a number of times. He likes the Simms for its loking feature. I like the Folstaff for its quick one-handed deployment.

I recently bought an Orivs one that looked in the catalog like it had the best of both features --a bungee cord with locks. Discovered that it is the worst of both. Each section has to be locked by hand.

I kept it, though, as it was on sale, was longer than my Folstaff, and I like the lower noise level of its rubber tip. And, truth be told, I am now at the stage in life where I keep the staff deployed any time I am in the water.

I recently saw a device that intrigues me. A magnetic catch that keeps the handle of the deployed staff next to your wading belt and available for a sudden grab if needed. May be the best of both worlds for me.

+ Reply to Thread