+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Introduction from a beginner Fly Fisherman....

Wink

Hi Mike, Welcome to FAOL. Be sure to look at the rod building and fly tying sections in the archives. There are many experts here who can answer any question. Remember that the only "dumb" questions are those you don't ask. Thanks for your service from another vet. You don't say where you are in Colorado, but there are a number of FAOLers here. If you are in the Denver area I urge you to join Cherry Creek Anglers or West Denver Chapter of Trout Unlimited. There are many mentors in those organizations who are overjoyed to be able to help a newbee as well as a vet and of course your vets recovery program is a great source as well. Use this forum and us its members as trusted friends and remember "New guy brings the beer"
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

"The beer"????!!! Wait a minute! Who's been holding out on us?? I only got donuts and coffee!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    "The beer"????!!! Wait a minute! Who's been holding out on us?? I only got donuts and coffee!!
    And apples. Nobody should forget about your apples.

Ed

Betty

If you ever get down this way, we...You, JackH, WarrenP, Liljoe, me.... can do some fishing on the Elk and I will buy the Beer that I owe you, Jack, Warren, ETC

WayneC
    (Newbee)

Thanks Everybody!!!!!!

This has to be one of the WARMEST welcomes from a website that I have ever seen!!!!

Paddy....I live up on Monument Hill. I am working with the Denver Project Healing Waters group. The folks there are INCREDIBLE!!!!! I am still trying to get used to asking for assistance and to be honest it has taken me a LONG time to do so.

I just learned about "weaving" for making letters and symbols on rods. I have been practicing a TON today and I think I am ready to attempt a trout on my rod. I had several letters unravel on me today and it was frustrating but when it happened I simply walked away and took a DEEP breath! LOL.......

I have to be honest that I am really excited to finally make my own Fly Rod......The folks at Hook & Hackle donated the materials for us and it was the luck of the draw on what blanks we got. There are seven of us in the rod building program. I got a blue/teal colored blank and was tickled to receive it.....matches my USAF colors I can't say enough good things about the folks at H&H....Eric is a great guy that shipped me a replacement top (fourth part of the blank) as mine was damaged. They have a customer for LIFE!!!!

I'll have to check out the other areas of the site such as the rod building areas.....I'm not great at websites but I'll figure out how to get there soon!

Mike,

Here's another excellent rod building site; like here, lots of very talented people willing to help.

http://rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

100% agree on your experience with Hook & Hackle; great customer service.

Regards,
    Scott

Welcome Home Mike!!

Steve Perry, project lead of PHWFF (Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing) at Fort Carson
    in Colorado Springs will be the focus of the next podcast on Ask about Fly Fishing. I don't know if this is where your program is but I thought I'd post the podcast here for those that want to listen in. I have a connection with Fort Carson since I was assigned there for several weeks during the 1970's when I was serving in the USAR as a medical officer at the hospital.

http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/

On of my good friends, Bob Gartner is the project lead of the PHW program in Ft Belvior and his friend Marty Laksbergs runs the Quantico Marine Base program. I've been tying flies for PHWFF at Fort Belvior and Quantico. You can PM me if you have flies you want to donate. All flies are will be given to wounded warriors in the PHWFF program and shared between the two programs.

https://www.facebook.com/BelvoirPHW

https://www.facebook.com/QuanticoPHW

Of note is the new commander at Ft. Belvior, Col. Gregory D. Gadson, who directed the Wounded Warrior Program before taking command at Ft. Belvior. Col. Gadson is a double amputee and PHWFF participant.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCO View Post

matches my USAF colors

I've heard USAF vets are the best kind

If you don't mind me asking, what was your AFSC?

Thank you for your service!

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding....been wrapping and re-wrapping the rod. The number four section really kicked my butt!

Dan, I started out as an AC-130H Gunship Navigator and then cross trained to the MC-130 after about 9 years. After a fun stint in the Pacific I headed to Kirtland to teach at the schoolhouse. Did a tour down at 19 AF at Randolph and then finished up as the MC/HC130 simulator program manager.

Silver, I will have to take a look at your website and see if I can't hear the podcast. I am doing my Healing Waters work up with the Denver Program. I have all my medical care up in Denver so I wasn't even aware of a Healing Waters program in the Springs area until after I started in Denver.

I already have a thin coat of epoxy on two sections in my rod turner. Getting ready for the final coat tonight then I will finish the last two sections up with epoxy.

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcomes!!!! I am getting excited about hitting the water in a couple of months. Hand surgery in a week and a half will put a slight damper on early fishing for me!

Mike

+ Reply to Thread