+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED Flt tying lights

Here is a picture of my tying area some time ago. It was handy on photobucket just next to the one above so I thought I would post it. You can see a flood light I have mounted at the top inside of the door frame .It pretty much illuminates the whole tying area. The daylight lamp here is what I know some of you have and I am very sure the LED is going to be much better. BTW the tying area is a closet I converted...don't have much space elsewhere.

Do you notice much in the way of heat given off by the circuitry?

Nice lamp. Thanks for sharing.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Another source for consideration are electronic distributors; ie Arrow Electronics, Newark, Mouser, Digi-Key (to name the top 4). They certainly have the components to make your own.

Though they all offer lamps with or without a magnifying glass lens (I have with). Today's electronic components make a size 24 look like a size 6.

Duck,
    You couldn't be that into tying......your desk I way toooo organized. Though looking at your space I might be contacting you for a detailed schematics.
    Last edited by fivedials; 02-26-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

I've ordered some large LED's and I'm going to make my own. Doing the math, I've decided to use 21 LED's with a 24 volt power supply.
    The forward voltage of each LED is 3.4 volts. Seven of them in a series would be 23.8 volts. I'll put a small resistor in there to limit current.
    I'll wire up three sets like this for 21 LED's. Each LED is 100,000mcd with 140 degree viewing angle. This should be brighter than most commercial lights.
    It will draw much less than an amp from the power supply.

I got the power supply for free from work, from some junk equipment. I'll make the light hood from a PVC reducer and make an adjustable gooseneck from some flexible conduit. If it works well, I am going to make two of them. I bought pack of 50 LED's. I'll use one for tying and one for rod making.

I like the idea of the lighted magnifiers, but I can't use them. I've tried them at work while working on small electronics. I just cant get used to them.
    I wear magnifier glasses. Even my shop safety glasses has magnifier bifocals in them. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bgreer View Post
    I've ordered some large LED's and I'm going to make my own.... l
    There are a ton in instructions, tutorials and easy to follow "How To's" dealing with LEDs on the Instructibles website:

http://www.instructables.com/
    Last edited by bowfin47; 02-27-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

Here's an LED lamp that's might be the ticket for someone. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/NGLL50CW/

Adds focused, energy-efficient pure cool white light for a brighter workspace.

From the website:

Take a closer look at NewerTech's NuGreen Energy Efficient Flexible Neck LED Desk Lamp. The NewerTech NuGreen Flexible Neck LED Desk Lamp is the modern answer to desktop lighting needs. Featuring 50 Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs), NuGreen produces light similar to natural daylight, makes it perfect for dorm rooms, apartments, and bedrooms. Further preventing disturbing roommates or a spouse with light glare is the flexible "gooseneck" that lets you position the light beam precisely where you need it.

Using only 3.6 watts total power, the NuGreen saves both money and the environment. The LEDs last up to 45,000 use hours...up to 22 times longer than tradition bulbs...and can be recycled because they contain no mercury. Besides its cool looking stylish aluminum design, NuGreen is cool to touch too. The LED lights don't emit any heat and the lamp turns on with a gentle finger tip touch to the red ring power indicator.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

TyroneFly,
    Am I reading the specs right that the arm on that one is only a foot long?
    Joe

Yes I see that too. Might not be useful for the tying bench without a pedestal or modification
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Duck,
    Very interesting. Hadn't noticed in your photo before, but I use the same vise and the light in the photo.

Do you all prefer one with a magnifier? Or do you rarely find it usefull?

+ Reply to Thread