+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Fell Down, and I Couldn't Get Up!

Steve, I hope you are doing better.
    Warren, I hope you are doing well too. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Jim: Grandpa said: "You have to be alive to complain!"
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Hope everyone heals up in time to go fishing.

I had to go back to the hospital emergency room, a half hour before my 65th Birthday. I was experiecing shortness of breath. They keep me there for five hours, and finally released me went they determined that my problem of breathing was corrected...

The ten exercises that my docter told me to do twice a day are starting to work...but I am starting to believe that these exercise will be going on for a couple of months...

Six of the ten members are still in the four swaps... I had to let the other Four Members go, but they can rejoin these swaps, when I post the 2015 Beginner's Swap; October 1st. I will not accept anyone after October 31st. There wil be 5 swap for the 2015 Beginner's Swaps.

~Parnelli~

~Parnelli~
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

I am doing very well and my therapist stated that I am healing up very fast. I started off with 50 pain pills in the bottle and I have taken 5 of them and those were in the first three days following surgery and I have not needed them since. I have been back for my post-op check up and all is well and they removed the stiches. My arm is still kept in the sling so that I do not attempt to use my shoulder. They showed me the slides of my shoulder and the repairs made. When the surgeon told me I had a small tear in my rotator cuff tendon and he was able to repair it with one stitch, I was thinking he meant one stitch in tissue, but, the tear was a small area where the tendon was torn lose from the bone and he drilled a hole in the bone, installed an anchor so he could put one stitch in the torn tendon and run the stitching material through the installed anchor and pull the torn tendon back down to the bone where it could re-attach its self to the bone. Amazing! He also ground down the bone spur. The therapist stated that her goal is to get my lateral arm movement to 180 degrees and I am already at 140 degrees. Once I reach 180 degrees, the therapist will start me on strength exercises so that I will gain all my arm and shoulder movements back. She is now rotating my shoulder in a circular pattern. She will not allow me to try anything she is doing for fear I may do damage and we have to start all over. I can see improvement everyday. I am scheduled to see the surgeon on March 17th. and I feel the sling will not be needed after that and, hopefully, I will be permitted to start fly fishing again. I told my therapist that if I stood up at my fly tying desk my arm would be down and I felt I could do some tying and I asked her for permission to do that. She told me that if tying a fly was more important to me than risking any damage to my shoulder than go ahead and do it. So, I am not willing to take that gamble and will not do any tying until I am told I can. As it is, I should be back to tying and fly fishing sometime after March 17th. which is only another 4 weeks.

Parnelli - I hope and pray that you mend and heal quickly.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren:

I am glad that your healing is rapidly improving your situation. I am in week 4 of my recovery, and today was the first time I did not have to take the pills my doctor gave me, and I did not wake up in the middle of the night experiecing pain in my shoulder. I have had difficulty doing some of the ten exercise that I am suppost to do, when I feel the pain I stop, and rest stop, and continue with the next exercise when the pain in the shoulder ceases. I now have regain some of my movement of my shoulder and clavical. There are still times when I experience some discomfort, but these periods do not last that long. Only thing that still bothers me the most is having a dry mouth from the pills...

I see my doctor again on March 7th, at 7:30 AM.

Wish you my best, on your recovery.... ~Parnelli~
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 02-27-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Parnelli,

OUCH! Well, you'll feel okay, or somewhere thereabout, when those pain killers kick in. Heal quickly.

Allan

Having a young brain and a 71 year old body is the pits. I have a fishing friend who's 20 years my junior, and he doesn't quite understand why I'm reluctant to accompany him down the steep 30 foot bank, to wade in swift water that is filled with slippery rocks. The problem is that I don't quite understand it myself, and that's why I come home with achy knees, dirty water filled waders, and a resolve never to do that again. Until next time
    They're just fish, right? Right?

I see my doctor again on March 7th! Currently I have most of my movement in my arm back, with some tendons and muscles in my neck and left arm still recovering...

Good news is I only have to pay a $25 co-pay for office visits, and Medicare (Parts A & B); along with my Blue Cross & Blue Shied, covering the remaining portion of the bills.

Steve, the BEST to you! Good luck! I found that in recovering from hip replacement being positive and doing the #%$^#$$^$&^#$@@$# PT religiously did the trick. My thoughts are with you.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread