+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attaching/carrying landing nets

Greg,

I just hold the magnet attached to my net in my fingers, reach over the top of my back, with my right hand and wham...the magnets snap together...from time to time, I must clean off sand that accumulates on the facings of both magnets...works great when it's almost dark and the big boys are moving about...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

I use the magnet system as well. Works great. You do, however, need to have the secondary connection to the net handle should it get loose while landing or releasing the fish.

Get rid of the net and get a Landing/Helping Hand "Tailing Glove" instead. Stores in your pocket when you don't need it, clips to any D-ring or your belt when you do, and can be used for practically any size freshwater...unlike a net.
    Last edited by whatfly; 12-22-2013 at 09:34 PM.

You mean, maybe if I didn't jerk my fly out of the fishes mouth, but pulled instead, I might get more fish on? Thanks, will try.

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    I just hold the magnet attached to my net in my fingers, reach over the top of my back, with my right hand and wham...the magnets snap together...
    PT - generally I agree, and even did so when I used one of those 2-part snap-rings for car vs house keys. However, two points (esp. ‘cause others are ‘listening’ and want to understand). 1), I prefer to not tuck the rod between my legs or under my arm while re-attaching the magnet with two hands; 2) more critical – I have abandoned the vest for the last few years and use a chest-pack with pouch on the back, and the connecting point is low enough that I can’t reach it over my shoulder, so have to guide the magnet into docking ‘blind’. I guess I was responding with my own experience and not the general condition.

Quite fastwater you were fishing in that pic!
    Last edited by Greg H; 12-28-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Just stick the handle in my belt in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Get rid of the net and get a Landing/Helping Hand "Tailing Glove" instead. Stores in your pocket when you don't need it, clips to any D-ring or your belt when you do, and can be used for practically any size freshwater...unlike a net.
    It'll probably open up a can of (San Juan) worms and I don't mean any disrespect at all to whatfly, but one of the benefits I've always thought to the use of a net in general is the ability to land a fish sooner than would be the case with hand landing, and I can't imagine a glove changes that equation all that much. I've lived it myself and watched it countless times with fishing partners who eschew the use of nets, I can get a fish in the net much hotter and sooner than I typically can in my hand. Even if I'm not doing so consciously, I have to fight the fish longer when I hand land him, and when I hand land him a little too soon, I often wind up engaging in that dance we've all done of trapping him against my body as he flops around, or dropping him and (hopefully) re-landing him, or inadvertently squeezing him just a little harder in order to stop the squirming, etc. Either way, unless it's dinks we're talking about, I've never felt that I'm landing the fish as gently and expeditiously and returning it to the water as soon when I'm doing by hand instead of utilizing a net. Just one man's opinion.

Blog Entries

Certainly agree John, except in the case of little fish perhaps.

No offence taken, but you miss the point of the Landing Hand. The mesh allows you to grip the fish firmly, without squeezing, and you can release much faster than you can with a net, because once you free the barb, you just let the fish go. Plus you do not have the fish flopping around in the net rubbing off it slime with every turn. No muss, no fuss, and you never have to deal with the fish-is-larger-than-the-net problem, and the damage that can cause. If I'm fishing for dinner, I use a net. Otherwise I find them tedious and unnecessary. YMMV.

I agree with billspey. I use a ghost rubber boat net even when wading and tuck it into my wading belt in the back. Easy access and great support for the old tired back.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

+ Reply to Thread