+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More on soft hackles

Question More on soft hackles

When I asked about using oversize hackles on soft hackle wet flies on a previous thread I received several great replies. I also got direct comments from some local guys. Their suggestion was to simply cut them back after tying, I thought this would detract from the flexibility of the fine tips but the retort was that these hackle tips were to represent insect legs and that insect legs were not thin and whispy at their tips. How valid is his thought? Has anyone ever tested this?

Blog Entries

I would not cut off the tips...

They would not look "neat and clean" to my eye...

They would be stiffer and move less in the water to the fishes' eye...

YMMV
    art

If you look at North Country spiders tied in the 19th century -- their original hayday -- it appears that it was a common practice at that time to cut back hackles that were too long. Those flies were tied to put food on the table, not for show, and I doubt that it affected their ability to catch fish one bit. Game bird feather barbules don't taper that much anyway.

With the trend today being more "what does the fly look like when I use my macro lens" than "does it catch fish" it seems to be a less common practice.

About the "thin and wispy" who knows-- the tips also represent tails and wings. Wispy is probably better for tails and thicker for wings.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    If you look at North Country spiders tied in the 19th century -- their original hayday -- it appears that it was a common practice at that time to cut back hackles that were too long. Those flies were tied to put food on the table, not for show, and I doubt that it affected their ability to catch fish one bit.
    I would concur.

Game bird feather barbules don't taper that much anyway.
    Bob, it is very rare for me to disagree with you on matters concerning materials and flies, but that statement had me scratch my head. I would put to you that most game bird feathers we use for tying have barbs which taper quite fast in fact. I am puzzled.

With the trend today being more "what does the fly look like when I use my macro lens" than "does it catch fish" it seems to be a less common practice.
    Here we are back on the same track. I put it to you though, that the two are not mutually exclusive - it is very possible to tie good looking flies (in our eyes) without compromising their effectiveness. The latter, to be clear, always takes first spot in my tying and fishing - as is only proper

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Ray, I live in the UK. I fish Northern Streams and Rivers. I cut all my spider flies back now. As do all my friends. They work on the Wharfe, Ribble and Hodder.

They may not look pretty, but my catch rate has improved.....
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

Default Page 98, of "The Soft-Hackled Fly Addict" by Sylveter Nemes

Page 98 has a gauge for "Soft-Hackle" from size 6 down to size 16.

Send me a email and I will email you a copy of that page...

~ parnelli@comcast.net ~
    ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread