+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your "Comfort Fly"?

I'm sure the answer varies widely depending on fishing conditions -- species, still or moving water, season, etc. However for stream trout here in the driftless area of the midwest, I'd go with an orange colored scud. I fish scuds in our spring creeks from January through September (our entire season). I have several orange color variations -- some brighter with some pink, some with more yellow for an overall amber color, and some tannish and more subdued. I change the trailer fly fished behind the scud to match seasonal hatches -- eg, Baetis nymphs right now -- but throughout the season a scud is my lead fly way more often than not. I'm quite sure that I've caught fish on a scud in every month this year and maybe even every week.

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    A size 16 Pink Squirrel Nymph.
    In a size 12.

I brake for pink squirrels.

These..... I never leave home without them.

The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

4. Default

NJ,In the past I've noticed your interest in the sea-run cutthroat (you were the only one to make any comment on my recent Readers' Cast article). I'm fortunately able to fish for them on a nearly year-round basis in either fresh or salt water, and one of my favorite flies is Mike Kinney's Reverse Spider. In fresh water I've begun using a particular color which, in my opinion, brings what is generally thought of as an attractor pattern a little more into the realm of matching the hatch. One of the most common prey items in our rivers at this time of the year is the October Caddis (Dicosmoecus), the pupa of this very large caddis is particularly attractive to the sea-run cutthroat and it may swim and crawl about for several days before coming ashore to molt into its adult form.The Reverse Spider, does a pretty good job of representing this pupa with its long swimming legs but I had a problem finding the right color of chenille to represent its pinkish-tan body. I tried bleaching shell pink chenille with both chlorine bleach and hydrogen peroxide to no avail and finally laid some out on the dashboard of my truck for a few days to let the sun do its work. The result, with the addition of a wood duck hackle has proven to be very effective.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Preston, I do love Sea-run cutts. I found much the same while haunting that same neck-of-the-woods. They do love the October Caddis. Nice pattern as well!

For trout it would be a #12 Prince Nymph, not as a first choice, but it always seems like they draw strikes when all else has failed. I always have them with me.

For smallies it is the white sparkle grub, various sizes.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

For trout, it's a Klinkhamer.
    For big 'gills, a yellow woollyworm with grizzly hackle.
    BTW, I ALWAYS have some of both fishing for either species.

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Hard question to answer, but for trout, I take comfort in just about any fly that has pheasant tail in it as a main ingredient!~aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Bead Head Prince Nymph....KILLER!

Copper John tied on a 1/132 oz. gold jig.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread