+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Duck CDC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    I'd be willing to wager that the really good cdc comes from some very large species of domestic duck.
    Allan
    I suspect they are just white mallards... Because I have seen pictures of them picking CDC commercially. Domestic mallards can be some monster birds.
    art

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Art,

Do you notice much difference in the feathers between species? I always assumed the stuff we get commercially is from a mallard, but you know what they say about when you assume....

Regards,
    Scott
    Scott
    The only real difference is size, between species, IMO&E... It runs to a fairly universal medium to dark gray color.
    art

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    I'm just jealous you guys get to get into the ducks this early! A dozen ducks worth of CDC should have filled up a sandwich size zip lock nicely.... definitely worth snatching up if you tie with CDC!
    QK
    I would trade all the early stuff for the opportunity to shoot fully colored-up birds... We do get lots of sea ducks and get them in great plumage, especially harlequins. And that starts to make up for the lack of woodies and gadwalls in full dress.

Harlequins have some of the best soft hackles imaginable in a true blue dun, BTW...
    art

Blog Entries

Forgot to mention... This early AM we stopped on the hill overlooking the lake we were going to hunt and looked it over carefully with binoculars. We wanted to know where the birds were and to see if anyone else was hunting the lake. Because it is a big stop-over spot for the really big swans we like to know how many are there and where they are.

My son immediately said there was a huge black bear in the inlet stream... Turned out it had a very big hump and a brown hide... Just a brown bear. Then her two-year-old cub came out and they fished briefly in the salmon-filled stream.

Not an ordinary way to start a duck hunt by most standards I suppose and one more good reason to stop and look things over.
    art

Gadwall flank is one of my absolute favorite tying materials... I hoard as much as possible! Many crappie and bluegills have been caught because of it mixed with a few strands of copper Krystal flash and some peacock herl......
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    Gadwall flank is one of my absolute favorite tying materials... I hoard as much as possible! Many crappie and bluegills have been caught because of it mixed with a few strands of copper Krystal flash and some peacock herl......
    I usually do not get all worked up about materials or patterns from the standpoint of what works, versus what REALLY works... But you could find your success in Alaska might mirror what you found busting bluegills...

I like gadwall for spey flies, especially. And here is the sad part... I have never killed a gadwall with barred flanks. I have certainly killed them in triple digit numbers, too.

AlanB Guest

When fishing with Marc Petitjean some years ago someone shot a duck (illegally) up stream of us. As it drifted down we snaffled it. Here is a photo I took of him showing where the CdC feathers are located.

As he showed you are lucky to get 3 or 4 really good feathers off a wild bird. His CdC comes from commercial ducks produced for the table. Farmyard ducks will produce better CdC for tying as they do not preen themselves as much as birds on water do. Collecting the oil in their bill damages the feathers (inconsiderate of the birds I know).

You should still get usable feathers from your wild birds. The ones from that one were. Apparently swan CdC is really amazing stuff. If you can get it.

Your wild CdC will be fine best of all its a free bonus. You'll have to do the sorting yourself but that is probably the largest part of the cost of commercial CdC.

Don't forget the very best CdC pattern ever. Our very own Hans' CdC and Elk. The only fly I have ever stopped fishing with as I felt it unfair on the fish.

Cheers,
    A.

And don't rule out the cdc from geese.

Very nicely done.

Thank you very much!

+ Reply to Thread