+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A question

Default A question

In the majority of instances when the recipe for a fly in being provided the originator will identify the hook using a brand and model number. IMO being brand specific is not a vital part of the recipe. Considering the vast assortment of brands it seems that detailing the hook in classic terms would be better.
    It is easier to note that a hook is a size 12, 3XL, curved shank, TDE than to say Tiemco XXXXx.
    This really relates to the point that our brain is an analog device and not digital but lets not get into that now.

Ray,
    You are spot on. Troublesome to have to look up a hook on a conversion chart.
    Some times the simple description is the best. If the tyer insists on including
    mfg. Maybe he/she could include both.
    Sweetstreams

With the wide array of hook styles, sizes and shapes available these days, I think specifying hook model number is more precise. Hooks such as the TMC 200R or DaiRiki 125 would be hard to accurately describe without the model number. Sometimes you'll see a description like "TMC xxxx or equivalent" and that's in fact, how I interpret all hook descriptions.

I believe that the most important info that needs to be included is the size of the hook and after that whether its dry or wet. The person reading and seeing the post should be able to take it from there. If you remember that most flies we tie have the hook sticking out like a sore thumb to the fish yet the fish still bites and that's what matters. Tim

On the Troutnut website they freqently show a hook and a nymph alongside and alongside of a ruler. If you are an English system of measurement guy, like me, it may trip you up the ruler in metric, making those half inch long nymphs 5mm.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I also agree. I prefer when patterns provide you with a size range for each pattern. I feel that is the most important part of the pattern.

AlanB Guest

Uncle Jesse,
    Conversion is easy there's 25.399978 mm to the inch! Most people use 25.4 but we know how important accuracy is in fly tying!!! (Sorry couldn't resist)

Joking aside it is easy to find a picture of a hook if you have the make and model number. Then just find the nearest thing you have. There is huge variation in hooks but often an extra couple of turns of thread more or less needed to tie it on a slightly different hook make no difference at all. Or do I need to buy the vernier callipers I saw the other day, and have then on my tying bench just to make sure I can give the right sizes? When I state a hook I often say "This is tied on a..." Meaning "here's a reference for you, use something similar if you want the fly to look the same".

It wouldn't be hard for a hook maker to draw up a table for hooks. For trout we would want about 4 gauges of wire, Then standard shank in straight and curved shank, and a range of shorter and longer shanks for each. I don't need a maker to tell me that I should be tying an emerger or a nymph on a particular hook. I wish one would do it this way.

Cheers,
    A.

Your suposed to tie the fly on the hook that is recommended?
    When I post a patterthe hook is listed so folks know what was used.

I tied most patterns in at least 3 sizes.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z View Post
    When I post a patterthe hook is listed so folks know what was used.
    And that's how I perceive it. If someone prefers a hook by a different maker, there is no shortage of hook comparison charts online if you need them.

Blog Entries

Ray,
    I know what you mean. Remember when it was either 94840 "or equivalent"?
    What is the Mustad equivalent of "Grip 14723BL"?

+ Reply to Thread